coryza/Mycoplasma gallisepticum/ or eye infection

kmdodge2015

Chirping
Sep 13, 2020
Is an eye infection always coryza/Mycoplasma gallisepticum o r can it just be something got into the eye and cause an infection? If they can be seperate things how do you tell the difference? I have a chick that has some redness and started swelling under one eye, if I pull their lid down I can see a yellow/white thing in the duct. I can't remove it, the bird won't sit still long enough. The bird has been inside all of its life no access to wild birds, my other birds are clean. Bird seems healthy otherwise, no discharge no sneezing no bad chest sounds, eats and drinks is very active.

Bird is about 10 weeks old

Now I did separate as soon as I saw the swelling and redness.
Getting eye drops tomorrow from tractor supply.
Can I use Curicyn Eye Care Solution for now?

Any advice would be great! We do not have poultry vets out where I am.

Last edited:
I cant hold the lid down and take a picture, I'll keep trying. Doesnt help that today his poop is bloody but still acting normal so we start corrid today for that.
A sunken eye like that I would suspect Mycoplasma, but it would be good to try to remove the pus if possible.
Sometimes you can get Terramycin eye ointment at TSC, that is good to use in the eye after you clean it or if you can't find that, you can use Original Neosporin in the eye.

You may want to get some Tylan/Tylosin to treat for infection as well. Tylosin powder can be ordered online.

Bloody poop doesn't sound good. If that doesn't clear up in a hurry with the Corid, then using a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP may be needed instead. Totrizuril would be another option for treating Coccidiosis.

If you have photos of the poop, that may be helpful too.

Here is a better eye picture. The outside isn't as red and swollen as yesterday and to be honest I did nothing for it because I didn't know if the eye drops I had would be ok. I didn't get an email anyone responded until this morning 🙃
No poop pics it got covered quickly by him and I just cleaned the cage after the bloody poop. View attachment 2785248
Poor thing looks very sick.
Do not give any vitamins while you're treating with Corid.

Where did this bird come from and how long have you had it?

I ha

I have had him since 3 days old, I bought him from a breeder. They have been in a brooder away from my personal hatches since I recieved them. And this just popped up all of a sudden. I don't know where it came from.
Have you had illness in your original flock?

I have started with the eye cream, can I give tylon and corrid at the same time? I will keep trying to remove it, unfortunately I do not have another set of hands here until next week that can help me with a wiggling bird but I will keep trying!
Thank you!
If it's mycoplasma then you can't remove the "puss" as it's not that. Just swelling. My girls looked like they had puss also but it wasn't. It went away as the swelling went down. IF it is mycoplasma you'll have to decide what to do. They will be carriers for life and you'll never be able to sell/give away chicks or hatching eggs. You'll be able to breed but every hatch will be born as carriers. Mycoplasma is also contagious so.you can easily give it to your other birds just by handling these ones then handling the others.

Looks like chicken pus which is like a cheesy, semi-soft material.
Good job on getting that out
Thank you! Definitely was not easy!!!! I can see more but the area under the lid was getting way too deep red for my liking so I will try again tomorrow! I did manage to get some ointment right on the spot without touching the tube to the nasty stuff or the eye!

Yes, it could still be respiratory illness. You don't mention a bad/foul odor about the chick, so just a guess by the symptoms and photos, I would lean toward Mycoplasma.
Without testing, it's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom