coryza or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justhatched, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    We have 4 silkies they will be 6 weeks tomorrow. We got all of them from the same place one of them is much bigger than the others. We are thinking it's older. Okay, so I noticed our grey silkie had problems with one eye being "stuck" shut. No noticbible discharge just stuck. I'd clean it and leave the chick alone. About a week or so later our splash silkie started sneezing and I noticed both eyes would "stick" shut. I cleaned both eyes and started to give yogurt, poly vi sol in the water. Our black silkie "sneezes" but has no other problems. The bigger one (white one) is fine no problems at all. When we noticed the splash having problems we moved our standard chickens outside. Keeping the silkies in the house in their brooder. We feed them medicated crumbles and I put the heat lamp on for them when it gets cool or at night. When we noticed splash "sick" I started to give them Terra Vet10 at the lower dose. After a week no change. So 3 days ago I gave them the higher dose. I did some searching on line and came to the conclusion it was coryza and was going to get a new medication today. I've seen people say the chick/chicken has a smell. The splash doesn't have a smell none of them do. Last night I noticed splash looked good. His/her eyes looked clear, her feathers/fluff was clean and not matted down and he/she seemed energetic.This morning splash's eyes are a little watery but the sneezing has reduced dramatically. Not gone though. Not as energetic as last night but not as bad as she had been. What could this be? Should I stay with the medication or start a new one? What one?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Environmental issues can cause the symptoms you describe; pollen, dust, smoke etc... If you dont think it's environmental, here's a link to a list of respiratory diseases and treatments. Coryza is included, but I suggest you also take a look at MG and MS.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I failed to mention that this chick has had poop issues since we got her. First I think it was pasty butt. Now I'm thinking he/she has diarrhea. I don't think the poop is plugging his/her vent but that it's stuck to her bottom. The site shows conjunctivitis as a symptom for coryza. I'm not sure. He/she has black skin and his/her eyes are dark too. Is there any way I can tell. Your right though. It could be Coryza, MG and MS. Is there a medication that will help all three? This chick doesn't have all the symptom that the table shows for each illness.

I originally thought it was environmental. They are in our den in the house. We don't smoke but thought it could be dust or pollen. I try to keep the room clean. Sometimes I crack the window open to let fresh air in. Other times I keep it closed and don't notice any difference in the chick.

Stumped.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Coryza normally has white puss develop in the one eye, nostrils and develops a very rank smell. MG often has foamy bubbles in corner of eye, wet watery or sticky eye and nostrils. MS goes along with MG and starts making the bird have trouble walking with one or more legs, swollen joints etc... both are VERY contagious and become carrier states. Tylan 50 injected just under skin at shoulders for 3 days helps them get over the outward symptoms, but they can spread it to other birds.

5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:There isn't any white puss. Once I was holding splash and he/she had a bubble on his/ her eye. I wiped it away. I have never seen any discharge from the nose. The eyes seemed a bit swollen early on but has gone down now. If other chicks are infected with this (if it's not environmental) wouldn't they show symptoms like splash? They walk normally with no problems. Could it be a silkie/bantam thing?[​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Respiratory illness can lay dormant and spring up during times of stress.They can look fine for months. I am not saying it is what they have, just be aware that it is a possibility and take precautions. Treat with Tylan 50 and see if anything improves. Let's hope it's more allergies or dust is bothering them. If they got very chilled it could be pneumonia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by