Coryza or scratched eye ball?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlkjaw, Aug 10, 2014.

1. tlkjaw

tlkjaw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    Maine
    I noticed today that my light brahma who is 15 weeks old had one if her eyes shut. She has always been smaller than my other brahma hen and always a little paler. She was laying in the shade when I noticed. I picked her up and stared at for while and she didn't open her eye. When I put her down however she did open the one bad eye for a few seconds and it looked fine.
    I know coryza involves puss that smells disgusting but I put her eye right up to my nose and it had no smell.
    Wednesday, which was now 5 days ago, my rooster pecked her in the eye but she seemed alright.
    Is she closing her eye simply because it is scratched or is this the very start of coryza? I have already separated her as a precaution. I also already have Sulfadimethoxine on hand (Storey's Guide To Raising Poultry says that this is the best medicine to treat coryza.)
    Should I start her on it immediately or wait a day or two to see if it is just a scratch?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tlkjaw

Jun 27, 2012
    Maine
    She has a tiny cut on the outside of her eye that is already scabbed over. She has no other symptoms except the closed eye. She is now opening it more but I feel like every time I look at her she closes it again. I'm starting to think she's freaking me out on purpose!

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No foul smell..not coryza.

Try flushing her eye with saline and applying neosporin triple antibiotic...could just be from a scratch or injury.

5. tlkjaw

Jun 27, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you both very much!!! I'll do the saline flush and neosporin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by