1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coryza or stressed out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Words&Stuff, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Words&Stuff

Words&Stuff New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    I have a 7 month old ameracauna that seems to be sick, she was quarantined yesterday morning. I got 5 birds this past Friday (my first flock!): 1 roo 2 hen 7mo ameracuana 1 10mo rock barred and 1 8mo blue maran. There was a lot to process in trying to pick out birds; they had no mites and seemed to be bright eyed healthy with good vents, but I'm very ignorant at this point. I did notice that on the way back one had its beak left open often, weird. Saturday I was hearing an occasional cough/sneeze from the ameracauna and on Sunday she had a slightly pungent odor from her runny nose.

The quarantined hen is still active, scratching around and watching us, is eating well, and has good solid brown then white poo. The blue maran has diarrhea though. Before quarantine, she was with the other birds in my horse stall turned coop with lots of pine shavings, but the other ameracuana had been picking on her pretty hard, shooing her away from the group. The rock barred and blue maran only lashes out when anyone over step their bounds. When she sleeps I do hear a bit of a gurgling snore on the breath intake.

Anyone have any idea of what may be going on? I'm holding out hope on that this is not some very infectious disease, but if so please tell me what to do.

Thank you kindly for all your advice!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's not an environmental issue, it could very well be a respiratory problem. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry, scroll down to "Infectious Coryza" and "Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,)" and read about them if you wish. The only way to tell for sure if they have a disease is to have bloodwork or necropsy performed. The pungent odor could possibly be coryza.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by