Coryza reoccurance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by restorationfarm, May 28, 2010.

1. restorationfarm

restorationfarm New Egg

May 28, 2010
    I had a Coryza outbreak late last fall and processed out all birds. Since then I have vaccinated all current birds. Last vaccination was 10 days ago. Now I am having an outbreak again. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possibly FROM the vaccine? Just seems too coincidental that it is happening now. I have about 100 birds, mostly pullets(Golden Comet and araucana) about 6 weeks from laying.
    Thanks!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

How are they house? Cocci loves hot & wet...and poop!

Keep their litter as dry & clean as possible.

Use raised waterers.

Don't house chickens with ducks or other waterfowl.

Don't overcrowd them....

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Also, I've never used the vaccine but I use CORID every now & then and since making some changes to my husbandry, I've not had any issues with it since 2008.

The changes I made:

Less birds, larger coop.

Deep litter method in the coop.

Deep sand in the runs.

I sprinkle cracked corn in the coops as a treat & let the birds work it over.

I rake the runs every now & then.

I use raised waterers with catch basins.

I don't house waterfowl with chickens.

I also made little ramps which have door mats on them so they wipe their feet as they go into the coops.

Their feeders are in the coops (not in the runs) and well away from their roosts--they are secured to the walls.

I don't feed much in the runs, either to help prevent them from ingesting too much sand or poo.

4. restorationfarm

restorationfarm New Egg

May 28, 2010
    I don't have any waterfowl. I DO have hanging feeders and raised waterers. Although I have 2 birds that have deformed beaks and they get IN the feeders because it takes them so long to eat and they get pushed aside by the other birds if on the ground. The bedding is fairly deep and dry( now anyway, we had a VERY wet winter). I just covered the entire run and coop with sawdust about 4 inches deep. I had been letting them free range 3-4 hours a day but then became concerned because of close proximinity to a Blackhead outbreak so have kept them in run area.
    I do like the ramp, door mat idea. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by