1. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I have a rooster and hen that have coryza...I am currently treating them and for now they are isolated from my hen and duck. If they get better ( I know they will forever be carriers) can they go back in with the other birds that as of now are not displaying symptoms? I don't mind keeping a closed flock just to allow them to live out their lives but wonder if when I do put them back, will the non symptomatic birds ie..my hen and duck come down with the illness? I would love to keep everyone even if it's just as carrier pets as long as they can live a happy life. I want to also mention that the 2 sick birds up til I saw discharge and smelly faces, were in with the other 2 so should I just let everyone back together considering they probably already were exposed??

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    They will infect your entire flock and should be culled you will never be rid of it as long as you have carriers as it spreads through the drinking water, feeders, and pecking each other around the mouth it is a nasty disease but does not survive well off a host so getting rid of it is best done by starting over. You will never be able to give birds away or sell them they will live out a normal life as survivors but wild birds will spread it to who knows where. It sucks but culling and starting over is the best husbandry method.

3. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    thanks for the advise....do you know if ducks are carriers or are waterfowl a whole different breed that it doesn't affect? And as far as wild birds taking it somewhere else.....our coop is completely enclosed top, bottom and sides....do you really think they could still infect wild birds???

4. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I do not think it bothers ducks or any waterfowl but I know it will kill wild birds. I have dealt with this before in the past and for about a year I tried to manage it and when I thought I had it gone guess what? I finally started over with new stock and have had no problems but I also will never add to my flock except by egg.

5. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    so do you think everyone should go except the duck?? Even my original hen that was with the ill bird for a day before being isolated? Or do you think as long as she shows no signs within the next few weeks we are safe to say she's not infected and can go about acquiring new babies?? I hate to think I brought death to any of my pets but if it's the only way to end this then I may have to. Do carriers still come down with it over the yrs even after being cleared of it?

6. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    If I were you this is what I would do, I would isolate all the birds for about a month as the incubation period is 1 to 3 days and monitor them for symptoms. After a month or so you will most likely be fine as you caught it early but remember to disinfect the cage that housed the known carriers. I would cull the known carriers absolutely regardless of which one it is or totally isolate it if you want chicks from it and then cull it. By chicks I mean incubation only. For a few birds I would start over and chalk it up as lesson learned. A closed flock is your best defense. You might contact the seller and let them know.

7. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    how do you use a bird for chicks if he's a carrier without having him infect my hen when he gets with her to breed? When you say incubation is within a week does that mean that's when signs would start to show up? So far it's been since Tues and no one seems to be ill but him. How is it the hen he is currently in a dog cage with isn't sick at all? I'm assuming coryza because his face smells to high heaven and he sneezes ALOT with mucus...

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Good point [​IMG] You would have to AI to protect the non-carrier. Yes, incubation period is 1 to 3 days, so a week is long enough for it too show up. The incubation period begins with the date it ingested contaminated mucos it may not get it all but it is rare. The odor is unmistakable it wreaks. If they both have symptons you could still collect eggs and incubate them but have no contact with other birds.

9. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    what is AI?? I hear the survival of the disease is short outside of the host....I spot cleaned after I removed him from the coop so my unaffected hen and duck still reside in there...do you think by the end of the week if no signs show up we are safe to say no one else is affected? I think I'm returning him and the hen back to guy who sold him to me...its a shame, he's so pretty and very docile. I know the man is going to wring his neck...It makes me sad.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would not take the rooster and hen back to the guy who sold them to you. He might sell them to someone else. I recommend you cull them.
    Keep in mind the incubation period is 1-3 days. You might see gradual symptoms as time goes by, or might not; up until the acute disease stage at 4 weeks or up to 12 weeks. There is nothing definitive as to when you'll see symptoms within a certain time frame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by