coryza?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by albird101, Nov 8, 2014.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    So my coop has been alone for the past 2 and half months after having coryza in my flock I culled them and started dover with new chicks the chicks are 4 weeks today and I'm planning on starting to let them stay in the coop but I wanted to know if the coryza virus is gone? I cleaned it all out the first week and scrubbed bleach and some and let it dry out then I been vacuuming it every week so is today the today they can enjoy the coop? Bu the way what bedding is good for keeping chicks warm at night? It dosent get to chilling out here but I would like to give them extra warmth thanks

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I would think that your coop has sat long enough. You may want to give it one more scrub with ACV.

As far as bedding goes, shavings, straw and shredded paper are your best options. Straw will keep them warm, pine shavings is easy to carry around and smells good and shredded paper is a good water absorber. NOTE: Do not use cedar shavings as this is toxic and don't put the shredded paper in the nest boxes as it will stick to the newly laid eggs more than other bedding will.

Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, very glad you joined us [​IMG]

4. albird101

Jun 2, 2013

5. albird101

Jun 2, 2013
    what's ACV and how does it help? Thanks for the information

6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Apple Cider Vinegar. A natural cleaner and disinfectant.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would think the Coryza has broken down by now. Most bacteria and virus's don't last all that long off the host or in the environment.

Good luck!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    ACV stands for apple cider vinegar. It is useful in many ways. It is a good source of potassium and is quickly absorbed. Potassium is important to build strength and fight bacteria by flushing out toxins. It boosts a chicken's respiratory, immune and digestive systems and helps with calcium absorption. Also, it helps fight and prevent cancer, infections, diseases and illnesses. ACV is high in vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics and minerals. It also is thought to be a mild antibiotic. If you are going to be moving your chickens to new housing, introducing to the flock or if your birds are molting make sure to use ACV as it helps reduce stress levels.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with your new chicks.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by