kswizzyswizz

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
I have approx 10 month old Hen who has been showing signs of a respiratory illness such as Corza or MG. I am afraid its MG and this is why.... It is now Day 6 of on set of symptoms, One Goopy eye with some bubbles. No Other symptoms. I have started with Terramycin eye ointment 3x daily. I have ordered the following - please note i am in California and it is essentially illegal and impossible antibiotics for animals with out a prescription and there are no avian vets near me. I have ordered Denagard for entire flock as well a her, Vet RX, Fish antibitoics - ( Doxycyline) and Calf Scour Bolus (Oxytetracycline). this all i could find as far as antibiotics that can treat either diseases. She has not shown ANY other symptoms other than her eye. If MG or Corza, when does one make the decision to just cull entire flock? To top it all off, i have a hen on a nest incubating eggs, she is on day 12. Do i make the decision and toss her eggs before its to late and i introduce these new chicks to this enviroment and with no way of getting rid of these new chicks that have been possibly exposed to MG or Corza? Do i even bother trying to get this hen with symptoms back to health or should I cull and send off for a necropsy?

I have dealt with MG,, and can vouch that Denagard is very effective in knocking out the Symptoms of MG. If you medicate monthly with Denagard, especially in the colder winter months, you should never again see symptoms in your flock. Unfortunately your birds will all remain carriers of whichever disease they carry, whether or not they ever show symptoms.

As far as treating vs. culling your flock, that is a decision that only you can make. Some choose to cull their entire flock and start
over, while others choose to treat and keep their poultry. I suspect MG since you say her only symptom is a goopy eye. A common Coryza symptom is a very bad smell emitting from the nostrils and mouth.

Do you know how a respiratory infection got into your flock?

I have dealt with MG,, and can vouch that Denagard is very effective in knocking out the Symptoms of MG. If you medicate monthly with Denagard, especially in the colder winter months, you should never again see symptoms in your flock. Unfortunately your birds will all remain carriers of whichever disease they carry, whether or not they ever show symptoms.

As far as treating vs. culling your flock, that is a decision that only you can make. Some choose to cull their entire flock and start
over, while others choose to treat and keep their poultry. I suspect MG since you say her only symptom is a goopy eye. A common Coryza symptom is a very bad smell emitting from the nostrils and mouth.

Do you know how a respiratory infection got into your flock?

My hardest decision to make is the incubating eggs under my hen…day 12 or 13 today.. if I should toss now before it’s too late rather than bringing 8 more into an environment with MG in it. Especially since I only planned on keeping two or 3, and selling the rest.

I don’t know how a respiratory infection got into the flock. No new birds in the last 6 mos. I had some vitamin deficiency type symptoms with my rooster which have since resolved it’s self and he’s back to 100%. We’ve had some weird weather, we had 65-75 degree days, then out of no where we got hit with nasty gale force winds and cold inches of rain, almost a day of hail, and 38 and pouring all day.

Did you purchase all your chickens as day old chicks from a reputable feed store or hatchery? If so, it's less likely your flock has a respiratory infection in their midst. Your hen may have have an eye infection instead. Especially if her only symptom is a goopy eye, and no other flock members are showing symptoms.

The first thing you should do is to close your flock for the life of all of your birds. The chicks may be exposed eventually, but it can also be passed in hatching eggs, if those eggs hatch. You cannot rehome the chicks, but you may want to keep them in case your layers don’t lay as well. MG symptoms may show up in some, but it is less contagious than infectious bronchitis. MG is what it sounds like affecting your chicken, but if you ever lose one, keep the body chilled, and have your state vet perform a necropsy where they will also test for MG. MG can be common in some backyard flocks, and it can be spread by wild birds as well as a carrier brought into the flock. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Did you purchase all your chickens as day old chicks from a reputable feed store or hatchery? If so, it's less likely your flock has a respiratory infection in their midst. Your hen may have have an eye infection instead. Especially if her only symptom is a goopy eye, and no other flock members are showing symptoms.

4 I have came from Tractor Supply and the other 4 came from reputable breeders. The one in question came from the reputable breeder, she vaccinated but only for Mareks I believe.

The first thing you should do is to close your flock for the life of all of your birds. The chicks may be exposed eventually, but it can also be passed in hatching eggs, if those eggs hatch. You cannot rehome the chicks, but you may want to keep them in case your layers don’t lay as well. MG symptoms may show up in some, but it is less contagious than infectious bronchitis. MG is what it sounds like affecting your chicken, but if you ever lose one, keep the body chilled, and have your state vet perform a necropsy where they will also test for MG. MG can be common in some backyard flocks, and it can be spread by wild birds as well as a carrier brought into the flock. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Thanks, I definitely planned on the necropsy. I’m okay with a closed flock, after all this is just a hobby not income and I can hardly keep up with all the eggs I get (these are bantams mind you) but I am struggling with the decision of the eggs and hen on the eggs as they have been separated from the flock since she went broody.

4 I have came from Tractor Supply and the other 4 came from reputable breeders. The one in question came from the reputable breeder, she vaccinated but only for Mareks I believe.
I'm not knocking the breeder you got chickens from, but unfortunately there are many stories on this forum from those who got chickens from a "reputable breeder", then ended up with various respiratory diseases, Marek's Disease and other incurable diseases in their flock. And being NPIP certified is no guarrantee either, since that mostly only tests for diseases transmissible to humans. (Some states do test for MG).

As far as your broody hen and her developing eggs, you mentioned you only planned to keep two or three, then sell the rest. You can expect approximately four will be pullets. IF you decide to treat for MG, selling excess chicks/chickens is no longer a responsible option, but you can still keep your flock symptom-free by medicating with Denagard. If that is the path you decide to take, you will need to cull/euthanize any chicks/chickens (male or female) you don't want to keep, for as long as you have an MG-positive flock. IF you decide to keep and treat, there's no reason to not let your broody hatch her chicks, unless you want to Completely close your flock by not adding new birds as well as not selling/giving any away.

Back
Top Bottom