Cost of baby chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whatnow?, Apr 26, 2008.

1. whatnow?

whatnow? Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    SE PA
    I stopped by the feed store today and, of course, stopped by the chicks to see what was available. I noticed they were asking about $5 for a baby roo (various breeds) and $4 for standard size pullet chicks. Not that it would break the bank (I spend that on gas to get to the store) but this seemed high to me.

I thought I paid less than half that for my chicks 2 months ago. Am I confused?

BTW-the turkeys are hilarious - lots of personality.

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wish my TSC had Turkeys!!
    What did they cost?

3. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

That does seem high, when I bought my chicks through MMH the roos were cheaper than the pullets, and when I go to the feed store the pullets are like 3.00 a chick, not quite but close.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    But when you buy from MMH you also have to pay shipping. So does TSC, they have to pay shipping for each chick, so of course they pass that on to their customers. [​IMG]

5. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Hmmmm........Mine here are anywhere from $1.88 to like $3.50 ish for (females)pullets. I was just at there today and looked at them [​IMG], but did NOT buy a single one!

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    That does seem a little high to me I spent $1.39 on day old baby pullet layers and $0.99 on each of my broilers and my local farm store. [​IMG]

7. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Hey Whatnow, what feedstore in our neck of the woods keeps chicks in store? I've never seen it here! Although knowing might be dangerous!
    And yes, that does seem high!
    Thanks!

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That does seem high. I paid $1.99 for day old pullets this past Wed. and I got my straight-run chicks at Easter time for a $1.59 a piece. The part that has me really confused is that they want more for the roos than the pullets. [​IMG]

I think you would come out better ordering from a hatchery even after you pay the express shipping costs. Just my opinion here! Some hatcheries don't have a large minimum order either.

Good luck with it! [​IMG]

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I agree with gumpsgirl, that is high, and if your going to pay that much I would order them from a hatchery also. Undoubtlay the store knows that the chicks are in high demand this year and they are going to try to milk the ones that want them.

You could probably wait a week and then go back to the store, or call 1st, and see if they have them marked down. I know at the store that I got mine from that after a week or so if they haven't sold the chicks they will mark them down. They done this on ducklings just a couple weeks ago.

10. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    The feed store I went to last week had the pullets at about $3 each, and I thought that was a bit much, but, figured, they are passing the cost on to me. When they have what they consider fancier breeds, anything bantam, it goes up. I have to say thanks to you for bringing this up, now I have another reason to encourage my dh that a really nice bator is an egg-cellent mother's day gift!!!!![​IMG]:clap:clap:clap:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by