Cost of becoming NPIP certified in Virginia-Pros vs Coins.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CuzChickens, Jan 22, 2017.

1. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hey guys,

I am considering becoming NPIP certified and I've been reading up on it a bit. Starting to get a little annoyed because I can not find anywhere it says cost, NPIP vs not, and other stuff. So I have some questions.

1. Can I ship birds out of VA if I'm not certified?
    2. What does it cost to get the required tests done as well as AI test?
    3. Pros-vs-Cons?
    Ummmmm, trying to think what else I need to know. TIA!

~Cuz

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In the real world of shipping and crossing state lines with your birds, and eggs not to say anything about crossing international borders or getting the proper paperwork to export your birds, it all begins with NPIP.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I can however, ship eggs and chicks within the state of VA, correct?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rather than taking the word of random folks on the internet, go directly to the source. Find your state Department of Agriculture online, or call and talk to the NPIP person. Things can vary quite a bit from state to state as far as how testing is done, and costs, etc. If you get your info directly from them, you know you're getting correct information.

1 person likes this.
  5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I think I will make a phone call to them (whoever they are) soon and figure it all out. Thanks for the info!

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It says right on the application that there is no cost other than the cost of testing.

Your NPIP helps you as a seller by letting you ship to more buyers; many states do not allow the importation of eggs/chicks unless they come from an NPIP flock or are tested within so many days of receipt. It also lets you sell to other NPIP buyers, since they can only buy from NPIP sources.

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals-national-poultry-improvement-plan.shtml

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals-fees-for-testing-procedures.shtml

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    That last link you included is exactly what I have been looking for!!! Thank you so much!

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well, the downside is I cannot find a price for the pullorum testing. I tried different abbreviations but I'm not seeing it, but I didn't read the whole thing line by line.
    I'm not sure if its the Salmonella culture or the other Salmonella test that is on there.

ETA It looks like the tester that comes out to do the flock testing also charges, like this woman: http://www.thefarmmama.com/pullorumtesting.htm

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    NPIP only 'covers' a very small portion of the diseases that can be spread.......it's a 'false' security designation IMO.

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I agree.

In addition, I have bought A LOT of hatching eggs from other states and none stated on the packaging whether they are NPIP and I have never been asked to test the eggs or resulting chicks (though theoretically I am supposed to). I have also bought birds from VA, DC, and NJ and did not have NPIP papers to bring them into the state. I am not saying this is the right thing to do, but the reality is there is no customs and border protection agency at each state line checking this stuff. NPIP buyers do need to have proof that new additions coming into the flock are from NPIP sources, however.

So, my point is, even with you not being NPIP, you would still be able to send eggs to me in MD, as an example.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by