Cost of Cornish rock chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AimsChickies, Sep 21, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have been looking at several hatcheries since thinking about raising some for meat for my family. There is a local who hatches and sells them for $3 each...i know there wouldnt be shipping involved, but still....isn't that a bit much?

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Yikes! Check out Hoovers Hatchery we got our Cornish Cross Broilers through and they were $.80 for SR. They have a website. I saw Cronish and I assumed you were doing meat birds but it is a place to start. Very helpful sales people.

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure they are Cornish Rock chicks? From what I understand, the hatcheries have very specialized breeding strains to produce the Cornish Rocks, and hatching your own at home is not something most people could do.

Yes, $3.00 a chick is way too much. Look at Welp

http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock.asp

That is including shipping. I always order from them and have had excellent results.

4. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the info, i knew it sounded steep.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Murray sells them at $43.00, ($1.72 each) plus shipping. Their BBQ Special which is all meat chicks is $37.75 or $1.51 each plus shipping. Murray also has a Frying Pan Special which is males from the layer breeds. It is cheap but you don't want that.

6. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Keep in mind that most hatcheries require you to buy at least 25 chicks at a time. If you only want 4 or 5, for instance, you might as well buy from the local guy, assuming that he's actually selling the same variety (of which I have my doubts).

7. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:I thought that they were laying hybrids only

8. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Meyers hatchery is a little piece from you but they have 30 Cornish Rocks for $36.90 including shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by