Cost of Cornish X ~ Holy COW!

AussieSharon

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
Virginia
Just called my local feedstore to order a few cornish x. $2.75 each.
I bought dressed cornish hens at the grocery today on sale for $2 each!

I only ordered 4 ( 13 year old wants to raise them ) but next time will order 25 myself from the hatchery and have them shipped.

It's very pathetic how cheaply chicken can be produced and sold. The farmer who produces the cornish game hen is probably getting a nickel per bird. All the rest goes into paying for transport, diesel and markup.

i think it's one of those you get what you pay for. i know i'm not saving alot when you think about the work and costs but for me it's a hobby i like to do. and i really like the idea that i know what they are eating,drinking and what they have walked through and they are the best chicken i have ever tasted.

Yeah, sad isn't it. Whole sale, large scale, subsidies, markup... all work against you as the "little guy." At least those four will be happy and healthy before they end up on the table.

So how many anitbiotics and extra water were added to that chicken you bought at the grocery? I know mine here say "water added for weight" So after you take it out and rinse it, you've lost half a lb.

Enjoy your chickens. Be careful...it's addicting!

i'm one of those bad people that tack on a fee.
sad.png

but i feel i'm doing people a service and expect a little money for the service. instead of having to buy 50, which is the minimum for freedom rangers, my customers can buy as little as one. and i drive to the post office to pick up the birds, feed and water the birds and look after their well being until the birds are picked up. i would hope people would understand the my time, gas and not having to get 50, is worth the little fee i tack on each bird.

I get mine from a hatchery in Iowa that delivers to my local feed store for .90 cents each for the cornish X's, straight run. If you want to risk shipping farther try Hoover's Hatchery in Rudd, Iowa. I always get my chicks from them. I have always had success from them. I got 67 chicks last year from them and only lost two later on in life for other reason beyond normal chick health.

Quote:
What may amaze you more is that it's completely allowed under the "natural" label claim to 'marinate' or even inject meat with salt water (brine). This makes the meat heavier so they can sell water at meat prices. This is also why everyone thinks store bought chicken is so 'juicy'. You might as well just go take a drink of the ocean to wash your chicken down with.

This DOES pose a dilemna for my customers. If they cook one of my chickens like they would a Safeway industrial raised broiler, they will cook the life out of it. I recommend to all my meat customers that they find a cookbook their grandma would have used, something prior to 1950. Then use that as guidance for cooking times and temperatures.

It's the same with our beef, too, because we dry age it 21 days (instead of 1-2 days at Safeway) that much of the water is shed.

Back
Top Bottom