Cost of horse ownership?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tharrell, Apr 28, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    We have been throwing around the idea of getting a horse for years, but we have been talking about it more lately. I would really like to know the average cost of keeping one maybe monthly and anually. We don't have the land....yet so it would have to be boarded. I'm really intersted in the cost of feed, vet care, farrier care, dental care, ect. Any comments would be appreciated!

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Boarding gets very expensive. There is boarding fees, feed costs, vet costs, emergency vet costs when the horse is chased through a fence, ect. Plus the farrier every 6 weeks, routine worming, rountine vaccinations, ect.

It gets even more expensive if the stable does not feed your horses like they were suppossed to so you have to buy a lot of extra feed to keep your horse in condition. I'm glad my horses are finally in my backyard [​IMG] No more dealing with boarding stables that don't do what they say they will do.

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I'm scared to add it all up... [​IMG]
    Maybe if there's no definite number, it's not a reality. [​IMG]

You pretty much spend as much as you want to. I'm just picky about my boys getting the best!
    But go for it! Ask anything you want to know! Veteren horse lover here! We've been through all sorts of things.

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I would check around to find out boarding costs as some include food/feeding .

It also varies a lot depending on the horse and if where you board has a pasture.

I had an older horse that was not an easy keeper. I had to buy bags of senor feed to keep the weight t on him in addition to hay. So my feed was clost to $200 a month. Vet costs vary a lot too. A lot of times when you board you can get put on the farrier and vet schedule at the barn. This saves you a little. For the farrier Some horses can just get a trim, some have to get shoes, this can be anywhere from $25-60 a visit depending on what your horse needs.
    Mine got trims every 2 months and it was $30. This was also a few years ago though. There are a lot of horse people on here that can give you more detail. I can say in the year I owned my horse ( had to put him down because of a tumor - that cost $700... $300 of it was for the disposal of his body!) [​IMG] It was @ a $300 a month venture.. not including vet care.

There is a reason for that saying "eats like a horse" [​IMG]

It was a lot of fun though, I'll have one again... but it will be awhile before I can afford one.

You may try a local boarding place to see if you can lease a horse. Do a half lease or something and see how you even like it. That way you pay a monthly fee and get a taste of horse ownership without a commitment.

Good luck!

Nancy

5. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I have never actually added up all the money a year I spend on my pets. It's probably around 5000-10000 if I were to include everything. I just don't like to think of those numbers! I know with a horse you have to have the feet done every six weeks, but how often on the teeth, or do all horses need that done? And do they need a yearly checkup like cats and dogs for their shots, or is it more often? Anything anyone can tell me good or bad would be great!

6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Boarding costs will depend on where you are located. Here, in NW Indiana, it would cost between $6 and $10 per day. This would include feed and hay and use of the riding facilities. Not included would be vet bills, ours visits twice a year=$200-$300 per visit, farrier work, he comes at least 4 times @ $60 a visit, and tack,fly spray, show sheen,etc....
    They say if you have to ask how much a horse would cost to keep then you probably can't afford one. I, myself, try not to think about the cost...Its easier that way.

7. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    With potential vet costs, there's never a definite cost. Thsky's the limit. [​IMG]

8. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Boarding costs vary depending on the type. There is pasture only where they don't provide a shelter, stable or barn, feed included or not included, etc. The best thing to do is check the facilities around your area. Shots depend on the area you live in and if you plan to take them around other horses (boarding stables included). There are tests that have to be done yearly to be able to take them on trail rides or to shows. Farrier costs vary depending on if you shoe them or not, if they need special shoes, if they get a crack in a hoof etc. Veternarians make farm visits for a fee if the horse can't be trailered but it is pricey, and off hours emergency calls are very high. Hay and feed costs depend on what kind of horse and the type of riding you intend, very active "athletes" need special feed to stay in top condition and expend a lot of energy as opposed to pleasure riding only. Old horses often require special feed and especially dental exams. Fly sprays, grooming supplies, tack and a million other things depending on what sort of horse you want.

I suggest that you visit some of the local equine establishments and talk to them as well as the people that board there... there are just too many variables to give you even a rough estimate!

9. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Quote:Be careful about asking at stables they may give you a horse...If where you live is anything like it is here.

10. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Rough board around me is 250-300 a month. Full board is over 300.

Trimming is 30-50 bucks. Vaccines you can give yourself for the cost of the needles and medication from TSC- its about 30 bucks a year for the all in ones. its about 500 a year for a vet if you call them out to do them. They'll want to do other things, plus charge for the visit and run tests and treat whatever they can think to treat. Insurance is a good idea.

Grass is best for horses, if you keep yours out on grass with rough board your feed bill would probably be hardly anything. If you WORK your horse more than 4 hours every single day you'll need to give grains and feed. if its winter and you're rough boarding you'll need to give sweet feed and or grains and hay. Probably between 50-150 a month depending on your needs.

Then tehres blankets if you use them, fly masks, sprays, tools, tack, emergencies. Annual dental work and incidentals.

A lot of this can be avoided by getting a hardy easy keeping breed and using it for pleasure. Horses belong on pasture. i dont care what anyone says. Get a hard footed, well made horse and it'll be worth your money.

Imagine you're buying a new car and making payments. Thats probably the same cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by