Cost of running 250 watt lamps

3peeps

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
EDIT: OK, I just found this link. Might be able to answer this question myself, but thought I'd post this for other people. I'll post my findings later if I get a chance.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

(original question: I'm wondering if anyone knows how to figure out how much it costs to run a 250 watt bulb for a brooder continuously.

For instance, in one month's time, how would it affect my energy bill?

Not sure what a kilowatt hour actually is, either.

All I know is a broody hen is pretty efficient. )

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did my math:

182.5 Kilowatt hours per month x $0.11855 = $21.64 per month to run a 250 watt heat lamp continuously.

Have you looked at ceramic heat emitters ?
( they use them for reptiles )
The initial cost per bulb is a little high ( $20 - $30 ) but they are very long lasting and use a fraction of the electric .

I used heat lamps for years with my reptiles. $$$ electric bills.
Then I switched to ceramic heat emitters after reading about how durable and economical they were supposed to be. Next month my electric bill was 3/4 of what it had been.
I no longer raise reptiles but saved several items. ( including my ceramic heat bulbs, some had ran non-stop for 7 years and still work )
I've my first chickies in the brooder , set up with a ceramic heat emitter ( 80w ) that I varied the hieght on to get the temp changes as they've grown.
Ceramic bulbs only give off heat, no light.
For light I have a flourescent bulb set-up that I turn off at night.

You can buy ceramic heat emitters online or at *most* petstores. Check out the reptile section
smile.png

Can you run the Ceramic heat emitters in the same fixture as your regular heat lamp bulbs or do you have to buy a different fixture also?

Was wondering this myself, started at this thread and then found this online -

Here's the formula to figure the cost of running a device:
wattage
x hours used ÷ 1000 x price per kWh = cost of electricity

So, for us, 250 x 168 (1 week) / 1000 * .13 = $5.46/week which is $.0325/hour

How about other energy saving options?

Brinsea Ecoglow 20 or 50? The 50 has an input wattage of 160watts.
Mamma Heating Pad ( search BYC for this thread by @Blooie) Under $25 to make.
Broody Hen (slip the chicks under in the middle of the night).

The Brinsea Ecoglow brooder 20 chick uses just under 18 watts of power(stats right off the box!) to run. Check it out online. It has been the first year I used this brooder and I love love love it! No need to worry and fuss with temperatures! ! Chick's take right too it and they LOVE IT!! I started out with 10 chick's and thank God still have 10 chick's! They are growing and feathering great. No need to worry about fire as its completely safe! When my day Olds arrived after eating and drinking I placed each one under it. I put my hand in front so they would stay under it long enough to feel the heat and that's all it took! I did this with each chick and had happy happy chick's and quiet nights! No light that disrupts sleep. A tiny orange light let's you know it's one but is NOT bright enough to light the brooder. They learn early to live by the natural rhythm of light and dark and the chick's are much less stressed!! NO BRIGHT light to disturb them and only always happy chirps!! Make sure they have plenty of room on all sides to come and go as they wish. As they get older they love perching on top and the top just wipes clean easily!! I honestly wish I had got one sooner with my other chicks!! Wayfair online has them for 10% off. I recommend up to 10 chick's for the 20 chick brooder which is around 80 dollars. Don't let the price put you off! It put me off for years but I swear it's worth every cent for the ease and piece of mind it gives! Over 10 chick's I recommend the 50 chick larger brooder. If ordered from Wayfair online shipping is extremely fast! I've had my eye on this brooder for some years now but as I don't have a lot of money I waited. When I saw the 10% off price I went ahead and purchased it and I'm so glad I did! It's Very cheap to run, always perfect temperature, won't cause fire, has a special antibacterial plastic that wipes clean easily. Uses radiant heat more like the natural warmth of the hen. It's made a huge difference in brooding for me! And for the chick's. BRINSEA is a name that's well tested and trusted and you can't beat under 18 watts!

I use the Ecoglow 50 and broody hens. You have to look at the input wattage on the transformer, that will give you a more accurate wattage usage. It's usually double what the manufacture rates the Ecoglow as using because of the inefficiency of the transformer. Still relatively low wattage compared to a 250 watt heat lamp and it's safer.

Back
Top Bottom