cost of wood shavings?

im in US but:

where do you buy your chicken feed? ask there if they have any pine shavings or straw for animal bedding. also, call all the feed stores and hardware stores in your area, also pet stores usually have some shavings. walmart here usually carries shavings as well. so call all the larger department stores in your area and ask the pet section. if you cant find any of these, horse bedding pellets, hay, straw, will also work pretty well

Last edited:
I will look in the place where I buy chicken feed. They do sell hay there. Also I have a question: is it okay to use wood shavings for a coop floor if you are in a warm (humid not dry) climate? I am thinking of using wood shavings because at the moment the floor is dirt mixed with a very little sand.

if there is a livery yard or feed store or sheep station near you then the owners might have a portable sawmill. check your freecycle or craigslist for lumbermills near you.
sawdust and/or shavings ought to be free (in my opinion) as most millworks are just to small to bother selling them.
if you offer to drive over with rubbish bins a collect/clean up their site they might just be happy to let you.

i met a lumberjack (yes i am in canada) who has a portable sawmill. he is now our friend and rang me to offer cedar shavings when he milled some for a customer.
good luck

Back
Top Bottom