Cost per egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Papakeith, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I couldn't help myself. I built up a quick spreadsheet and calculated my cost per egg. [​IMG] Yes, I know I have too much time on my hands. . . but I was curious.

Now, granted I've only had the hens (7 months old) for a few days, and I haven't sold any of the eggs yet, so the number should improve.

As of today, my cost per egg is $7.52 [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do your math again at the one year mark and again at the 18 month mark. You'll find that at 18 months, you'll likely "break even".

Right now? Yup, there's gold in them thar eggs!! [​IMG][​IMG] Or, one would think so, given how much you have in them.

3. Papakeith

Papakeith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    It gets better each day. yesterday I was over 9$ per egg:D

With each egg it gets better and once I start selling off the overflow the number should drop at an appreciable rate. Right now I'm looking at 20 weeks to break even. This, of course, does not count any food or upgrade costs. I should be able to guestimate the food costs after I work my way through the first bag of feed.

Still, it's fun to crunch the numbers and see where I'm at.

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Since mine or 1 of the 14 that are at POL, just started laying, mine is probably....oh about $750.00 per tiny egg [​IMG]

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:I'm right there with you... cost to make 2 runs ( first design didnt work too well) and coop, vet bill, food, free chicks... I figure I am in the hundreds per egg still. [​IMG]:cd

6. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    This is where I feel very, very lucky that I got laying chickens, a month worth of feed, fence, and a chicken ark for $50...

That said, if I continue to buy organic feed, I will not be able to compete on cost with a local source I know of for free-range, organic eggs. She charges $3/dozen and I think mine are "costing" me about $4/dozen at current feed prices. I wonder how she does it. Hmm, sounds like a thread.

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm right there with you... cost to make 2 runs ( first design didnt work too well) and coop, vet bill, food, free chicks... I figure I am in the hundreds per egg still. [​IMG]:cd

I am in the same boat![​IMG]

8. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I am afraid to try to figure out my cost per egg. Since one of my hens pecked me in the eye with resulting medical bills...lets just say eggs are way to expensive. If I had to buy them I could not afford to. I did learn a good lesson though. So that is worth something.

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    You have to be willing to add the chicken math calculations on your spreadsheet if you want accurate numbers

[​IMG]

10. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I was so excited when I got my first egg. My husband called it the thousand dollar egg because that's probably how much we had invested in the whole deal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by