1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cost to raise

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I have been reading here for months now, learning as much as I can about game birds. [​IMG] Love this site!

How much on average does it cost to raise 50 courtinix or bobwhites? From hatch until big enough to eat (or sell for hunting).

I am trying to decide if I want quail or pheasant, or both. I have plenty of space for either, and resources to build appropriate shelters for both. I have had chickens for 10 years - they have their own coop and would remain separate from the new birds. Given the choice which would be more profitable, better eating, more fun?

Thanks for any input! [​IMG]

2. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    I have heard they are cheaper based on food conversion to meat/eggs than chickens. I would really love to hear an answer to this question too.

3. ChickenChaps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I searched and didnt find that thread.
    Awesome Thank You!!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sorry Cant Help With Exact Figures... Once You Get As Many As I Have You Just Keep Shoveling Feed Daily And Try Not To Think About The Cost [​IMG]

As Far As Meat Goes, Cots Are Quick And Easy.. The Roaches Of The Quail World If You Will? 8-12 Wks And They're Eatin Size. Make No Mistake... They Eat Like 2 Headed Aligators During Those 8 Wks. Most Say As Much As Bobs Will Eat In 32 Wks And In My Experience Thats Correct. Also Pheasants And Chukar Will Grow About The Same Rate As Bobs But Produce A Larger Carcass If Meat Is Your End Goal, Tho Both Speces Need Exponentially More Room Than Any Quail And Of Course You're Getting Towards The Top Of The Ladder On The Agressive Scale Too.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Not sure on feed per bird , but guess the fastest ,would have to be corturnix 10 week, and the easiest to raise ,if you can grow weeds in your garden ,thats how easy they are.

Pheasant , would produce more meat, myself I like bobwhite meat the best,

6. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    It depends on where you live for the hunting part, here in maine they buy pheasants at 6 weeks to release for hunting, but in north dakota those things are wild and nobody needs to do that so no sails. Caterers tend to like quail eggs for deviled eggs and smoked pheasant meat is a delicacy. Quail for eggs you would want coturnix. You would have to do a ton of research to get a lot of information about the subjects.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They have a lower feed-to-egg ratio than a chicken does, but that doesn't answer your question about how much to raise them. My adult birds eat about 2 1/2 pounds of feed a day and that's for about 25 birds. When they are growing they tend to eat more. This is for coturnix, the only bobs I've ever had were sold at 3 months old. [​IMG]

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I can't really help on a feed cost analysis between coturnix and bobs either, because I have never done a side by side comparison, but I don't believe that either are more efficient at turning feed into bird meat. Coturnix just do it faster than bobs. If you zero out the feed cost, then you have certain pluses with coturnix over bobs. They grow much faster. They are more "Brooder Friendly", and are not seasonal layers.
    They have other pluses over bobs. I'll let others point out the other pluses.

Their minus: They are not bobs, they do not taste like bobs. Not a problem for me because I love the way they taste! They are totally worthless for hunting dog training, and hunting in general. My idea of hunting coturnix is running through the yard with a dip-net, when they are to stupid and flighty to hunt me down and peck at my shoe.

On a side note:Raising bobs for release and sporting purposes requires special pen/flight pen setups, and most likely expensive permits, to do it legally.

I can't help you with the pheasant question. Haven't raised them yet.

9. ChickenChaps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Thank you all for the replies! That helps me a lot. [​IMG]

I am interested in learning more of the pros and cons between cotournix and bobs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by