1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.
  1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    How much abouts would it cost to make a basic 6x8 or 8x10 6 ft roof chicken coop? Nothing fancy. Basically a shed, but must be wood. I have been looking at wood sheds online and they range from about 700.00+ and was wondering if it would be cheaper to BUILD my own coop? Would it cost more or less then 700.00 bucks? Thanks!

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    If you already have tools and you have access to recycled wood cheap or for free (pallets, etc.) then you can easily build it for less than that. If you're going to buy all new wood and have to buy the tools, you can easily spend twice that building it. Sort of depends on where you stand in there and how much time and money you want to put into it. Do you have a Habitat ReStore near you? You can find great things there (windows, doors, etc.) cheap.

3. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    As someone who spent 20 years in construction framing houses I can tell you that with the cost of materials right now you average about 1/2 the advertised cost is materials the other half is labor to build it. If you have the tools figure along those lines and you'll be in the ballpark.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I want it to be of decent quality, and needs to be rainproof. I do have all the tools needed, BUT I was thinking of getting mostly new wood, at least for the roof. We have bad rain here in Sacramento, so the roof is the most important part. I would be building this with a friends Dad (nobody in my house builds lol).

I am sure we have a ReStore here, and I do have power tools myself. Would recycled wood work for roof/sides of coop? Or should I get new plywood?

(we could spend about 400-450.00 total end cost.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Watch craigslist. Sometimes you can pick up old playhouses and sheds pretty cheap. That's what I originally wanted to do, but most of the bldgs I found were 2 - 3 hours from me so transport would have been pricy.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:What would you charge to build a wood shed/structure that is 6 x 8 feet and roof is 6 feet high so it is walk in? We saw a shed company having one for sale at 572.00 dollars, but we were wondering if we could get something at a lower price?

Lookmanoweed, I will be checking craigslist for sure, thanks for the tip! I will also put a wanted ad up.

7. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Quote:What would you charge to build a wood shed/structure that is 6 x 8 feet and roof is 6 feet high so it is walk in? We saw a shed company having one for sale at 572.00 dollars, but we were wondering if we could get something at a lower price?

Lookmanoweed, I will be checking craigslist for sure, thanks for the tip! I will also put a wanted ad up.

I put an ad in our local freebie paper looking for lumber and other materials for our coop, and we found some pretty good stuff. Others of itnot so much. A lot of people assumed since we were building a coop we wanted junk material. They obviously don't know my husband! [​IMG]

Rachel

8. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA

I built a 4x8 Amish Style coop this spring for a friend and the materials cost $500. I could have saved about $100 if we skimped on the hardware and I didn't need more nails for the air nailers. I'm including all costs in that figure.

I live about 5 miles from Horizon Structures and I bought one of their 12'x20' sheds because I couldn't build it for their cost. They buy in bulk and build so many they can do it in their sleep!

9. okiechicken

okiechicken In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    i built a 6/8 and probably have 350-400 in materials in it. its not as nice as a shed company would have done, but its not bad either. I need to redo the sides as I went cheap and now its showing. I hope this fall as it cools off, I can spend a weekend day doing it up better before bad winter weather hits.

a few years ago, lowes had prefab buildings for sale that came in kits. I dont know the price, but saw one at a guys house. it seemed pretty decent then and I wish i had spent more time looking into something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: