1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Costs for pen & coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jag, May 22, 2007.

1. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Just wondering what everyone spent when setting up their coops & pens. We went out this weekend and got everything that we needed to turn our shed into a coop and enough chain link fencing for a 20 x 12 run. I can't believe how much money we spent. I did get enough hardware cloth to completely secure the whole coop, so that added...but still! Wow; luckily, I still love them. [​IMG] I mean...I already had the shed for crying out loud!

This is the shed that will soon be home to my girls.

[​IMG]

2. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    I haven't had to spend that much. We already had the tool shed I converted. Also I had some wood left over from other projects and old hardware in the garage saved from years gone by. Mostly I had to buy the chicken wire.

3. millicent

millicent Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Livermore, Maine
    we spent about 50 big ones on rough cut lumber, used a piece of scrap roofing to cap it, spent the most on the fence, which we now do not use. but our coop is a sad showing in comparison to some of the chicken hiltons i have seen on this site....you will see NO pictures of my coop...i am too embarassed![​IMG]

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    We've spent roughly $350 for everything. It's far from done as my mind is always dreaming of ways to make it bigger, nicer etc. for my girls and boys. Good thing my hubby is just as bad as I am.

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    we spent about $3oo to build the coop, and that was using rough cut lumber straight from the Sawmill. We used Telephone poles, as Supports, used Construction signs as flooring, and left over metal roofing from our Horse barn.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Too Much!!!! LOL!

7. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Wow...you guys are doing better than me! I'm kinda impressed DH isn't making me sleep with the chickens. (But...hey...it'll be a nice place if I gotta! [​IMG])

8. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Ack! Way too much! We bought all new lumber & roofing & fencing, etc. More than $500, let's leave it at that. Then I asked around at work to see if anyone had any extra roofing shingles (we ran short of about 5!)... I was overwhelmed with offers! Dummy me, I should have asked around for freebies before we started the project! Doh!!! [​IMG] I'll bet a bunch of people (there are about 100 people on staff!) have materials lying around that they would love to get rid of!!!

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think this thread should win an award for "Scariest Thread Title!" [​IMG]

Back in the early 90s, our property assessment for taxes included a $1000.00 property value increase for our coop. [​IMG]

I think it was the siding, paint and shingles, that match the house. And the chickies needed lots of natural light and fresh air. And electricity. I'm surprised my husband didn't add running water! Really, it's not that fancy, but when you see it from the road, it looks like it blends in with the house and it's functional.

My original plan, was three chickens and a converted dog house, but when you're married, life is a collaboration. [​IMG] At least he likes chickens!

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:He he he he he! My hubby is the same way, when w first discussed getting chickens, I was just going to get a couple, and have a small coop built onto our existing barn. But hubby preferred to build a whole new structure that matches our barn. I have to say it is nice, and glad he did, cause with all the birds we have now, my original plan wouldnt have worked! Glad hubby knows me better than I think!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by