Costume ideas

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
This weekend is Purim (Jewish holiday), and it is traditional to dress up, go to synagogue and hear a Purim play (the story of Esther). My kids still haven't decided what they want to be! I prefer them to dress up as a character from the story, but I have been known to give in and let them be something else. Anyone have any good costume ideas that don't involve lots of money or sewing? I wanted them to go as hamentaschen (traditional Purim cookie), but they wouldn't hear of it. So what homemade costumes do you like?

It would be hard for to help with that particular holiday, but some really cute halloween costumes I have done:

Bag of jelly beans: clear trash bag filled with blown up water balloons. Stick your legs through the bottom and tie the top around your neck.

Basket of laundry: Wear pjs, take a basket and cut holes in it for your legs and fill it with clean laundry and a bottle of tide.

The Cat in the Hat: just need a big red and white striped hat
Farmer Brown from Click, Clack, Moo: overalls and a straw hat
Thing 1 and Thing 2: sweats with the numbers taped on them
The White Rabbit: Ears, hat and pocket watch
Harry Potter

Oops, read your post wrong....characters from the story, not from a story. I think I like the idea of hamentaschen...but how would that work? Depending on how old your boys are they might like to go as Haman after he was hung...boys being gruesome that way.
wink.png
I don't know if that would be appropriate, but it would appeal to my 11 year old.

I don't mind if they are from the story or not... I have given in on that one before, lol. I like the jelly beans and laundry basket, but they have to be able to sit down. I will run the other ones by the boys and see what they think. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom