1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cot Genetics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rittert3, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    So if I breed an A&M cock over Tuxedo hens will I get pieds or at least diluted tuxedos? Will their colors stay, like a&m x Golden tuxedo = golden pied?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    you MIGHT get lucky the first time, but mostly you'll get one or the other, at least if you don't keep it going thru generations. might take 2-5 times doing this over and over with the best looking birds to get it right.

quaillady is actually working on a golden tux, there are pics on her site @ www.stellar-gamebirds.com check the coturnix colors tab at the top, very bottom. btw they look awesome

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's now Stellar-gamebirds [​IMG]

4. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    You caught me, I have a pending future purchase from quaillady. It would be nice to beable to play around with some genetics while I have them as that is what I enjoy. In general I think cots are ugly birds but they fit my purpose and situation so I want to give them a shot and I don't think the tuxedo or a&m are to ugly so I want to breed for color spotted white birds and see what I get.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I am getting pied birds from TAM and wild coloring ( brown) birds some of my pied birds look to be split for gold 25 % or so most are brown some are white pied brown

6. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I have some cot genetics questions too. I don't want to hijack this thread though, and I have lots of pictures that I want to try to post. Basically, I have a mixed pen (cots hatched from eggs from Quaillady!) and I took their eggs for the Sept 1 Hatch-a-long and hatched a whole range of colors and patterns. I'm puzzling over 1. what they are, and 2. seeing if I can guess who are Mom and Dad. 2. Might be impossible, but it's fun (for me anyway!) to try to think about it.

7. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Go ahead and ask what you want to ask chrishel by all means post a pic or 2

8. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I've got to get me, the camera, and the computer, all in the same place!

The background is that I have 4 hens: Italian, a Dark Range (no light coloring in her quills), and two English Whites and three roos: A wild type, an English White, and a pied red (no striping or anything, he's almost not pied, but he has a tiny spot of white under his chin). The wild type is my crazy roo so he only got conjugal visits, under supervision, and he only mates with the whites (the sex of the white doesn't matter to him, I did say he was crazy). The other size are broodmates and in the same cage.

So as you can imagine, I've got all kinds of colors of chicks. Some English Whites, one Italian (with less pattern on his wings than his mother, so maybe his dad is the English white?), and the rest are varying degrees of pied, some striped, some not.

Some look like Pied Rosettas some look like Pied Dark Range, some are Reds, I must have some Rosettas, and maybe some Pied Roux Dilutes? I'm just going off of the pictures from Quaillady's website.

9. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I don't know if pied is really the name of what I want to go for. I want birds with about the same white to color pattern/ratio as quaillady's golden tuxedos in the pics on her website but in golden, darkrange and red range. So my thinking was put an a&m cock over a tuxedo hen of each color (scarlet Tux., Norm. Tux., and Golden Tux.) to form my quad and then maybe select for color/ pattern from there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  10. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Right now my pied are "tuxes". So I'm one generation (or several) from getting to where you want to be.

English Whites are double pied so to speak. And I think when we say English White we have to imply that they are wild type spotted. Since what you and Quaillady want are golden spotted. Or red or whatever.

I'm getting it slowly. My genetics is a little rusty.

So there are two genes in play: a pair of genes for color and a pair of genes for pied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by