cotournix siting eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jakec69, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jakec69

jakec69 New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    i have a cotornix hen sitting a nest of eggs. ive always heard they wouldnt do that in captivity. shes got 8 eggs under her. i tried to put a nothern bobwhite egg in there when she got off to eat and she went crazy and pushed it out the nest. i dont know if i have any males so they might not hatch. i have 8 quail and usuall get 5 eggs a day.

2. DuckyLou

DuckyLou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    East Texas
    That's so cool! I also thought they would not sit in captivity. Do you have a nesting box for yours? How old are your quail? Keep us updated on what happens!

3. jakec69

jakec69 New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    theyre a little over a year old. i dont have a nesting box i just put hay down on the wire floor. i also go in the woods and cut branches with a lot of leaves to put in the cage and they make their nest in there. ill try to get my gf to put some pics up i dont know how.

4. DuckyLou

DuckyLou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    East Texas
  5. jakec69

jakec69 New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    that helped a lot thanks. it looks like i do have at least 2 roosters so hopefully ill have some little hatchers soon.

6. jakec69

jakec69 New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    [​IMG]here is the quail sitting her nest. shes up to 10 eggs now. will she keep sitting them and adding them or what?

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Your guess is as good as anybodies. LOL It is not all that likely that she will TRULY go broody. She may continue to lay everyday to that nest till it is exploding with eggs, she may set on them for a few hours a day here and there, she may even start another nest somewhere else, or she just may start incubating them properly. You will have to wait and see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by