Cotrnix In Winter

Discussion in 'Quail' started by froggyforlife, Oct 9, 2013.

1. froggyforlife

froggyforlife New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    We live in central Texas and typically have mild winters with our nighttime lows in the 30's-40's and daytime usually in the 40's-60's. We have occasional ice storms and snow maybe once or twice a winter. My quail are in an run outside and have a nesting box that will keep the wind/rain etc out. But, what I really want to know is should I bring them inside our provide them with a heat lamp of some sort.

2. htownfarmer

htownfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    Houston
    from what i have read on this forum is that if you keep them out of a draft they will be ok.
    maybe plan on getting some tarps to make wind breaks.
    one can put drop lights near the waterers to keep ice at bay.
    plus the extra light might give you more eggs.

i am new to this hobby.
    get eggs this week.
    tim

1 person likes this.
  3. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Good advice! I also like to add a thick layer of hay to the enclosed area to aid in keeping them warm. Fluff the hay every day to keep it from getting trampled down.

1 person likes this.
  4. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    I'm fixing to build me a coop too was wondering the same questions . In a little further south of you and was wondering if I should start now or wait till spring ?

5. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    I'm in Canada & am expecting -30C/-22F weather here. Mine are in a coop shared with my chickens, but separate pens. I figure the coop will get down to -20C/-13F at its coldest inside.

The key is to keep ventilation up without drafts & no dampness. Damp is what can kill.

I will also be keeping mine on deep litter as it will act as an extra insulator for their floor. I couldn't imagine having wire mesh at their feet where a cold draft could come up from below. Ugh.

But as for being in Texas? Remove the draft & damp & you won't likely have any issues. Quail can take negative weather no prob. They've got feather jackets after all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  6. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    That what I wanted to hear . My birds will be outside so dl might not work for me . I don't want the rain getting in the litter .

7. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    If you think rain might get in the litter, then I'd also think about your quail. Birds do not like to be soaking wet, unless they're bathing. Damp + drafts will kill quail, probably easier than chickens. If you can keep your quail out of rain, at least in one area of their pen/aviary, you can have deep litter there. :)

8. rivergypsy

rivergypsy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I too am preparing my hutches and Aggie Quail for Central Texas winter. I already have heavy duty plastic and will buy a few tarps next trip to College Station/Bryan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by