Cottage Cheese

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Okla-doodle-doo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I just learned to like cottage cheese! How else can you use it besides right out of the carton?Do you salt and pepper yours or add sugar?

2. TifsBroodyBabes

TifsBroodyBabes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Everett, Wa.
    I use it to dip my Doritos in (or any other flavored chip) on my salad, with fruit (fresh or canned) it always tastes good with any tomato sauce items(pastas and such) When we were kids we mixed ketchup with it.It tastes wonderful mixed in a seafood salad.I can tell ya more if you like??? We love our cottage cheese around here!!!Oh its real good to take a tomato and slice it up and put a dollop of it on top with some pepper...yummy!!!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Out of the carton with lots of pepper or diced bell pepper. I'll use it in scalloped potatoes too. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I like to salt and pepper mine and scoop it up with plain potato chips... [​IMG]

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    lawrys seasoning salt is number one must w/black pepper if having it plain.

lawrys seasoning salt is always a must on a fried egg most any egg actually too.

cottage cheese is great with scalloped potatoes and lasagna. I also use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese when cooking lasagna.

sour cream and onion lays potato chips are the best to dip in cottage cheese I think. I got this from my mom.

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I got one!

Cottage cheese
    bell pepper, diced
    green onions, diced
    cucumber, peeled and diced
    large tomato, diced
    mayo or miracle whip
    seasoned salt
    fresh ground pepper

Better the second day.....but great with sandwiches. (and a side of pickled beets....yum)

7. fourgotten

fourgotten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Cottage cheese goes with darned near anything.

Try chopping some of your favorite fruit into it. Peaches, pineapple, and pears are all perfect with it!

Tomatoes also complement it nicely and it makes a dandy dip when mixed with salsa.

Really, there are few things that it cannot complement or enhance. Ice cream is one of them.

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The Italians have a version the call ricatta. It's one of the cheeses used in lasagna.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I like it with salt & pepper

Ditto on the fruit - sliced peaches, pineapple chunks, cantaloupe or berries of some kind

I use it in recipes like lasagna or stuffed shells if I don't have ricotta or just want to use up cottage cheese in the refrigerator.

Here's a dip recipe using cottage cheese that we like to serve with fruit:

Spicy Fruit Dip
    http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipe.cfm?id=354&catname=Appetizers

ETA: I almost forgot this favorite. It's made with ricotta, but cottage cheese can be subtituted. Great dip for veggies or chips:

Tomato Balsamic Cheese Dip
    http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipe.cfm?id=321&catname=Appetizers

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Also love it on top of boiled potatoes. On your plate, mash your boiled potatoes with butter, salt and pepper, then put cottage cheese on top. YUM YUM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by