Cotton Patch Geese - next year, anyone?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by adrian, Jun 19, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Will anyone have any cotton patch eggs/goslings for 2011?
    They are, as far as I know, only available in the US - not Canada - so I've decided a trip down may be necessary.

Although apparently it's possible to ship to a post office (which, in this case, would be probably in Montana/North Dakota), and then I can pick up from there. That is what Holderreads does. Does anyone know about this, or is willing to try?

I would be very grateful.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Rather than going to the trouble and expense of renting a post office box on the US side, check into general dilivery and leave a number where you can be reached. It works out to be about the same, there is no way they are going to try to stuff a box of goslings into a postal box, just a note to see the office for your package. For general delivery the address will be something like: ADRIAN XXXX, GENERAL DELIVERY, POST OFFICE NAME, STATE, POSTAL ZIP CODE. I know next to nothing about international phone rates but am fairly sure that the post office won't call you if there is an expense involved so it would work better if you got their LOCAL phone number and called them daily when you expect delivery. (The Number listed in the phone book is likely to be some type of call center, I think they have instructions NOT to give out the actual working number of post offices. I know of a couple of long haul truckers that use this system for mail when they are on fixed routes and there isn't a truck center handy to provide the service. You should be asked for ID before they will turn over your mail to you.
    How you get the birds across the border is your problem, I know there is a way because birds are shown in the US from Canadian growers and vice versa.

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Just as a brief aside, I had goslings shipped to a nearby PO like this and picked them up. They did call me (long distance number -- my cell) and held them in the back for me. Even met me before officially opening to give them to me. They didn't ask for ID though (which I'm pretty sure they should have legally). And when I came in to let them know I would be expecting the shipment and give them my number, I asked if I could call them and they said they'd call me. However, I have just looked up numbers for other POs near here and gotten the line straight in with no problem.

These are really small town POs though and sometimes things work different out here, if you know what I mean. So ymmdv - your mileage. May definitely vary.

I'd do as Goosedragon suggests though and get them general delivery. Save you some money -- plus it's often next to impossible to rent a PO box unless you can prove you live in their jurisdiction. I think that is because of a federal anti-terrorist law and they DO tend to stick with that one, even in small towns.

Hope you find your Cotton Patches!

4. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Thank you, you two. That was very helpful. I'll have to search around to find out how birds are transported from the US to Canada; I know it is possible, but must figure out the details.

5. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:You might check the American Poultry Association website. they cover both the US and Canada, I know they had the porcedure posted there for a National show that was held in Canada a couple of years back. things have changed I know we used to go to Canada a lot but turned back the last time because you needed a passport to get back into the states, used to be a US driver's permit was all you needed.

6. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    We should have several available in 2011. Especially if we can find males for all our females. If you will PM me your email address and how many you'd be interested in, I'll put you on the announcement list. [​IMG]

P.S. Not sure where in Canada you are, but I travel pretty far north several times a year for goat shows and could bring goslings along.

7. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    We're in Saskatchewan, which is central... Above Montana and North Dakota. We could travel south a bit, but where exactly do you go, North? Do you only sell goslings, or eggs as well? I only want a small amount, and would like to raise them from a young age, at the least. [​IMG] Just want a little flock of, say, four.

8. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I found an article detailing how to cross the Canadian border, but not the US border. It was under "important information", and I can't seem to find anything else. I'm also interested in whether there are such regulations for eggs. I've had eggs shipped from the US without paperwork... Was a thing I tried once out of desperation. Nothing happened to them, just that they were held at the border for a long time and were no good when they got to me. Little eggs - it's quite funny that they'd need to inspect them so thoroughly.

9. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Not really when you know a little bit about microbiology, fertile eggs make one of the best carriers for viruses. I believe all the H1N1vaccine started out in fertile eggs. I won't go into the method but it is good way to sneak a bioterror weapon into a country.

10. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I can imagine it would be. That's the thought I had; that they could be used as bioweapons. But most eggs are quite harmless. I suppose nowadays, there is a certain sense of extreme caution.

I did find a great article detailing shipments to Canada, and I found it on Metzer Farm's website. It covered the necessities for goslings + eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by