1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cotton Patch geese ?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by loftkeeper10, Jan 18, 2009.

1. loftkeeper10

loftkeeper10 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Iwent to a mans house a year ago were he had what i called pilgram geese there But he called them cotton patch geese a hertiage breed never had heard of them before they look like pilgrams.I would like to know if anyone has knownledge of this breed of geese.

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    I myself have never heard of them. But, I just did a google search and yes, there is such a breed of goose called cotton patch. They are used to weed cotton, corn and soy fields.

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I just read a book that was written during the depression that mentioned them. All it said was that they were good for weeding fields but not gardens and they would eat your garden vegetables if you don't stop them.

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
  5. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Dr. Tom's geese are beautiful. It would be nice to have a pair...or two. [​IMG] Have to get more land fenced first, though. [​IMG]

6. SFIcelandics

SFIcelandics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Quote:They are wondererful geese. I have 5 pair of Solids now, getting 5 pair of saddleback this spring.

Nate

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Link not working for me. I get a page not found screen from "webs" I read and saved a article of his that was published in the ALBC newsletter. The breed was not obscure in various southern areas, he just introduced the breed nationally. Not knocking, the breed could have easily died off as the old farmers that kept them died off. A few people were very happy to have their birds receive such attention. Just about any of the light breeds can be 'weeder' geese. CP are a landrace breed that were favored and kept for weeding.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I know that Greenfire farms has them. I am not sure of their prices, but here is the link: www.greenfirefarms.com

9. SFIcelandics

SFIcelandics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    I also have cotton patch geese - goslings are booking fast for 2011.

Nate

10. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We have cotton patch geese, and will be taking in a number of Tom Walker's top breeding pairs after next breeding season. If you PM me, I can provide you a lot of information on them.

Chelsea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by