Cotton patch goslings coming soon!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Serina81, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    Hi all, I have a breeding pair of cotton patch goslings. They should start laying in February, which means I'll have goslings available sometime in March (if all goes well) for $50. Anybody interested? They're one of the rarest goose according to the american livestock breeds conservancy and they are full of personality (they've never bit either). Mine are solid so the boys are white and the ladies are grey. Both have pink bills and feet and the gander has blue eyes like they're supposed to.

Serina

p.s. any advice on successful goose hatching? I'd be interested in hearing what has and hasn't worked for all of you.

2. Serina81

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Your geese look identical to the Mini Geese I bought from Holdrreads last Feb. I know he used CP and Pilgrim in his breeding, and also a small breed of wild goose. Where did you get yours? They are adorable! Mine weigh in the range of 7-8 lbs, and are color sexed.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome looking geese! [​IMG]

They are supposed to be very handy critters for weeding.

Goose eggs are supposed to be harder to hatch than, say, duck eggs. I think TerrieLacy hatches out geese. I would PM her.

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    OOPS! I also intended to add that you should do a search on this site using key words " goose hatching", or add a few other key words, as almost all of us who have hatched geese both in incubators and under the goose have posted a lot of info on BYC.

6. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    They look like pilgrims, but I love the way they look!

P.S. I hope all goes well and keep us posted [​IMG]

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Soooo cute! And I know rustyswoman has recently hatched goslings from incubated eggs. You can PM her. Someone else here has a page on how to hatch geese, but I can't remember where it is.

I've always said I don't want geese in the house, but I'm skeered that if I got some of those little cuties...

8. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I am interested! PMing you now!!

9. Serina81

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    Thanks for the advice! I was told for a nesting box that I should make a 2x2 foot box. How tall though?

10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    We once had a quad of accidentally crossed Sebastopol/Toulouse geese;
    The hens managed to lay 24 eggs, in a corner of the barn, that we could not get near without losing a finger. A box might help that, but if possible I'd limit the # to what fits under her easily.
    Box height I have to leave to the experts [​IMG]
    One hen sat them all, but there were always some sticking out. She hatched 4.
    We gave away the parents & 2 of the goslings because they were too hard on the yard-I wanted them for weed control, and they ate my baby Ginkgo trees to the ground!
    The other 2 were great pets and never bit us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by