Cotton pickin messy hens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kanga77510, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I took the feeder down from the ceiling and they're still making a mess! I put the feeder on a cinder block, and still have a major mess. I just put a small plastic top on it, covered by a small brick. I hope that does the trick. The girls aren't going to make a mess of my coop any longer.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

It seems that no matter what you do, they always seem to make a mess. [​IMG] Hope it works for you. [​IMG]

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Chickens are messy. Sorry.

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:I know that, but this seems above and beyond normal mess. It seemed they spilled a 1/4 of the feeder out yesterday alone.

5. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I had a big problem with them wasting the food so I changed the feeder I used. Someone else posted directions and pictures of the PVC pipe feeded. I made one and it didn't cost much money. I find they dont hardly make a mess. Good luck!

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We keep feeders hanging so that they're shoulder height to the chickens. This helps to reduce the mess making, along with feeding pellets rather than crumbles. We provide pellets24/7, but also make them clean-up whatever is on the floor before refilling their feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by