1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cottonwood heights, Ut ordinances

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by srolle1lsu, Feb 21, 2011.

1. srolle1lsu

srolle1lsu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Ut
    Does anyone know if there are setback requirements for coops? I've found that currently we may have 6 hens and no roosters but don't know about the setbacks or if dogs/other animals get factored in to a point system. I've had a hard time tracking down the ordinance enforcement folks and they are the only ones that can answer this question, or so i'm told.

thanks in advance for any help.

2. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Im in Eden Utah so no ordinances here but if I were you I would forget the ordinance folks and put the coop where you wouldnt have them snooping around. My son lives in ogden city and Mayor Godfrey actually has an ordinance natzi driving the streets to look for anything that may be a voilation. For example his wife took the christmas tree down after the holiday and drug it out the front door so they could take it to the green waste the next AM. The guy stopped and told her she needed to remove it then or pay a $150.00 fine. SOOooo be careful what you ask those people, they seem to have alot of time on their hands!!!

3. jrossetti

jrossetti Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This may be a few months late (sorry!). I live in Cottonwood Heights (in the neighborhood behind Whole Foods), and I have 4 hens. CH ordinances allow up to 5 hens (without a license), the coop must be 40 feet from any human dwelling, which does not include sheds or other out-buildings. I've had my hens for a couple years now and verified with CH what the ordinances are before I got them. Keep in mind that the COUNTY ordinances require a minimum of 50 feet, so put your coop to that distance instead of 40 just in case they ever decide to come knockin'.

Also, keep in mind that the city law does not mention temporary or moveable things like tractors or portable runs. So I think you should have a problem if you have a tractor and it may be closer than 40 feet.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Speedro

Speedro New Egg

Nov 19, 2012
    Google Cottonwood Heights city ordinances section 8.13. Six hens, 25 feet from any structure. Must apply permit and get inspection. Cheers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by