Coturnix affected by the weather?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by watersoflethe, Jul 23, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    So my coturnix were laying beautifully one everyday until recently when it went up to almost 110 degrees in my neighborhood. now they aren't laying any more. is this due to the heat or is there some other reason and i'm blaming it on the heat? are chickens affected by the heat too?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    It's just the heat. Chickens do the same thing. Just do your best to keep them comfortable. Provide shade and air movement if possible, and make sure they always have access to clean water. They'll lay again once the weather cools off somewhat. I always freeze some extra eggs in the spring when my ducks and chickens are really laying so I have eggs for baking during the summer lull, when egg production can be spotty at best.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Vitamin C Added To The Water 2-3 Times A Week Helps Bolster Laying Rates During Times Of Heat Stress.... Works Like A Charm.

4. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:How exactly do you freeze them?

And on topic mine are starting to slow down a bit right about now too. Was getting 9 eggs a day like clockwork but they are down to 6 or 7 a day.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:How exactly do you freeze them?

And on topic mine are starting to slow down a bit right about now too. Was getting 9 eggs a day like clockwork but they are down to 6 or 7 a day.

I just crack them open and freeze in ziplock freezer bags. Depending on what I might do with them, I either separate into yolks and whites or freeze whole. Generally 6 whole to a bag, or like 8 whites or 8 yolks (remember, these are chicken or duck eggs, I think it would be about 4 coturnix eggs to make one regular sized chicken egg). I add just a very tiny pinch of vitamin C powder to each bag, something I just came up with one my own, I don't know if it really does anything or not, but Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and I think it helps prevent freezer odor/taste. Maximum time they are good is about 4 to 5 months, after that they do get kind of strong tasting, so older ones get cooked to give back to the birds.

6. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Thank you. glad they are not sick or such.
    is there something i can do to cool them off? they are already in the shade....

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:It depends on what is going on here but in the middle of the day I have been scheduling it so I am not working i have a garden sprayer that has never had anything in it but clean water. I spay the feet of my birds a little bit some like it others not so much the corts seem to like it the bobs s some do some do not

8. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:It depends on what is going on here but in the middle of the day I have been scheduling it so I am not working i have a garden sprayer that has never had anything in it but clean water. I spay the feet of my birds a little bit some like it others not so much the corts seem to like it the bobs s some do some do not

my birds seem to hate water... ahahah

but they started laying again today... so that's good [​IMG]

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Mine are laying GREAT! I have 6 hens, & collected 10 eggs in the last 24 hours. They are SUPER layers

10. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:thats good i'm happy for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by