coturnix are hatching!!!! can i put them with my baby button quail?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KattyKillFish, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i got 4 pips that i can see and the rest are rockin' and rolling! i keep going up to the incubator saying "come out guys! wake up! the world want to see you!"

i'll be putting them in with my button quail that were born on march 26th/27th. they should be big enough by now to stay with coturnix right?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    anyone? (7 pips now btw)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know but good luck on the hatch

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yes, I've kept them together before without a problem. After about two weeks you'll need to separate them because the quail hog most of the feed.

5. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    one of my buttons won't stop picking on a certain one of the coturnix. i have the little guy in a warm clean dish towel under my shirt... in the incubator he was the one that was beating the other babies up as they hatched... you know like latching on to their wings & toes and shaking them around. what should i do about this? he beats up the others but the one button won't stop picking on him...

any ideas?

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    This is just me but I would put the baby coturnix in a box in the brooder and leave the buttons to run freely or the other way around.

I did this with baby doves and button chicks until I figured out the doves loved the company...lol.

I wouldn't mix them if they're doing that cuz it'll just keep getting worse.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's best to keep newly hatched chicks seperated for a day or 2 until they are steadier on their feet. Then you can mix them together if they are similar size. I have a couple week old buttons in with 2 seramas that hatched friday. I've mixed buttons and bantam chicks plenty of times so buttons and coturnix should work out. However the buttons will definitely beat up some of the coturnix or even much larger chicken chicks if they aren't moving around well yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by