Coturnix & Bobwhite cage size

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KFCGirla(TM)?, Sep 15, 2011.

1. KFCGirla(TM)?

KFCGirla(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Tennessee
    hey quail raisers of byc!
    I am going to get some smokey bobwhites soon hopefully and i would keep them in a cage. How big does the cage need to be for 1 male and 3 hens? Our shed is about 14' long. We are going to fix up our shed so i can use it for raising my gamebirds. I will be buying a light thing for heating in winter, so they can lay their eggs and the bator will be in there also. Also, i only keep my coturnix on wire, but in winter i am going to put them in cages in shed, how big should the cages be for 4 coturnix?

thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I don't know but I just had to say CONGRATS on the beautiful smoky bobs! [​IMG] I'm jealous [​IMG]

3. KFCGirla(TM)?

Apr 13, 2011
    Tennessee
    haha! thnx!

4. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    KFCGirl♥ :

haha! thnx!

Got any pics? I've never seen a smokey Bob before. Congrats on the new birds!!! [​IMG]

5. KFCGirla(TM)?

Apr 13, 2011
    Tennessee
    sorry i dont have any pics yet.

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i think this is it

[​IMG]

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Quote:[​IMG] I need some, lol

8. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    For coturnix you'll want about 1 square foot per bird. With your bobs, the more the better.

9. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Wow, so gorgeous!!! [​IMG] Wish I had enough space to be keeping Bobs. I only have enough space for a couple of small cages unfortunately [​IMG] I don't think that would be very fair to them. Thanks so much for the picture [​IMG]

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Wow, so gorgeous!!! [​IMG] Wish I had enough space to be keeping Bobs. I only have enough space for a couple of small cages unfortunately [​IMG] I don't think that would be very fair to them. Thanks so much for the picture [​IMG]

for pairs only QGF breeder pens are fine any more then pairs and bigger is better 2H X 3'W X 7"D Is a good start then however many you put in this watch them closely IF they are brooded together they do pretty good but if you mix a bunch together they WILL establish a pecking order and sometimes this is not pretty [​IMG]

I have a friend that keeps 2 cockbirds and 5 hens in this size pen and he does pretty good with this setup but his bird are brooded together

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by