coturnix Breeder Pens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Otter22, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Otter22

Otter22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Northern California
    I am just getting back into coturnix quail. I used to have them when I was a kid looong time ago. I am interested in having some larger pens but would also like to have some breeder pens for special colors. I was wondering what people think of these by G.O.F.
    www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=22# They seem a bit small but says they would be ok for 4 any thoughts.

Thank you,

John

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    They seem kinda small. I bet you could find some bigger cheaper cages on craigslist. [​IMG] Just my 2cents. [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i make mine with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and "J" clips. A 4 ft.L X 2 ft.D X 1 ft. H pen takes me 1-2 hr to make and costs under 15.00.
    i put 5-7 Coturnix in each of my cages.
    Just my personal opinion is that if you were putting quail in those G.O.F. cages they'd be mighty cramped as breeding adults.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:most have the 1 sq foot per bird rule if the cage is 10"X10" X 24 " you have barely enough room for 2 when I built my cages I used those as a guide but went up to 12" X 12" X 24 and I only keep pairs in the cages I have I have a couple of grow out pens for my coturnix. JMO but the best part about these cages is they are not so high the birds can jump and break their necks.

5. mhwc56

and of course ,with Coturnix you do not want to keep them as 1 male/1 female .Generally, on here they recommend 1 male to anywhere from 3-7 females. The male will just wear the female out and pluck her bald...or she will turn on him and hurt or kill him.......

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:i make mine with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and "J" clips. A 4 ft.L X 2 ft.D X 1 ft. H pen takes me 1-2 hr to make and costs under 15.00.
    i put 5-7 Coturnix in each of my cages.
    Just my personal opinion is that if you were putting quail in those G.O.F. cages they'd be mighty cramped as breeding adults.

Ditto. I looked at the GQF pens several times. I think I made mine better, and cheaper. Plus all my cages have an outside portion too. Those little cramped breeding cages are not for my birds.

7. Otter22

Otter22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Northern California
    Thank you for the input and suggestions. I think I new that were just to small.

I am going to make my own cages and make them bigger I do want them to be happy.

John

8. mhwc56

Quote:and another nice thing about making your own is that they are custom to whatever space and requirements you have personally.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by