1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Coturnix Breeders And Producers - Questions and Discussions about Production and Color Types

Discussion in 'Quail' started by James Marie, Dec 11, 2012.

1. James Marie

James Marie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    Looking for other members on BYC who raise Coturnix quails for meat and egg production....would like to start a thread for us to discuss farm practices we use for our different areas and our different markets.....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. judithkorff

judithkorff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Randolph, NY
    I love that idea! I've been approached about supplying quail eggs and possibly meat regionally so in just in the learning/research stage. A thread on commercial production would be really helpful.

I'm especially interested in finding out whether anyone has had experience raising/producing quail on a well-ventilated greenhouse environment. If I have to build a shelter anyway, a simple PVC greenhouse with an area for feeding/water and occasional confinement (to make them easier to net for harvest) would be something I could do. And heck, of the quail didn't turn a profit, I could reuse the greenhouse for some type of winter crop. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My coturnix are in a 200 dollar greenhouse that came in a box. I grew tomatoes in it last summer. In Anchorage it has been down to negative 15 so far and they are thriving. 18 hens have layed 50 eggs in 2 and a half days! They have a radiator on low and a light on 24/7. They are on deep litter with flipped over storage bins to cuddle under, planters of dirt for dusting and some silk plants for reality. They live with dozen D'uccles for the winter. Mine will never be put back on wire. They do much better on the ground. IMO.

2 people like this.
  4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    We've had Quail for years & have always enjoyed the eggs. I like them pickled & my 2 yr old grand daughter like them fried for breakfast.
    Recently I too started wondering about their commercial potential. I have contacted a couple of local specialty food shops who are interested in carrying them. I don't have a very big flock at this point but have been hatching for 3 weeks now. When these birds start to produce I plan to contact more stores & some of the local high end restaurants.
    I don't plan to farm quail on a large scale but am hoping to do well enough to help with the ever increasing feed bill.

5. James Marie

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    yes ...they can be raised in a enclosed environment...well-ventilated like you said....just watch your humidity levels..and you don't want it to get too hot....I've seen many people raise them in a greenhouse in a backyard and enjoy the birds and plants since they are ground dwellers
    once word gets around you have fresh eggs your market will expand...just don't go too big at first...grow with your market.......

1 person likes this.
  6. James Marie

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    speciality food markets and restaurants are great places to start...check with local farmers markets and health food stores etc...check with local permit offices and State Dept.of Agic......for needed permits or guidelines...for retail sales before you start......
    most farmers markets allow you to sale farm to table.....on a small scale it can be the best profit route....

7. James Marie

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    looks like things are going good with your quail.....-15 and they are still laying...great job...

8. James Marie

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    If you raise Coturnix for wholesale or retail sales....what is your best market product for your area...Fresh eggs? Live Birds? Processed Quail Meat? Pickled Eggs?

9. judithkorff

judithkorff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Randolph, NY
    Is it feasible to buy just layer chicks or will they not lay unless they're paired with males? My thought is to buy 200-300 hens every 2 years, let them lay for egg market for 2 years and then harvest them for meat and buy all new layers. Seems easier and less expensive than hatching out my own and having to deal with aggressive males, hatch losses and candling for blood spots on market eggs.

10. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    They will lay with or without males. I can see your point about having no males, but I don't know anyone who will sell you just layer chicks. They are hard to vent sex. I've tried. Over and over. [​IMG]

I don't think you'll get two years out of hens. Maybe 1 1/2 years. Why wouldn't you want to hatch your own, raise the males, at 8 weeks process them for meat, but keep a couple of choice ones for breeding.

Or alternately, purchase eggs, hatch, keep the hens then process males. In a year, purchase more eggs, etc. To keep production up, you'd want to stagger your flock's ages also or you'll have a period of time where you won't have any eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by