Coturnix color/breed?

d73

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Pine Island Florida
I've read on here that Coturnix is one breed just different colors.
But I also read that A&M's have white meat.

That leaves me with questions.
If it's one breed and you can mix colors then how is the meat different.
Also what color meat is Tux if it's Brown + A&M white = Tux?

And can you mix colors and still be pure bred?

Quote:
Put it this way
smile.png
Wild turkeys taste greasey and entirely different from meat turkeys who are bred for large meatiness yet the two birds are the same species.

The birds are white so it produces white meat least I assume. A & Ms were produced by selectively breeding English whites and Jumbo browns together selectively for large size and white meat. The other thing to take note of is that many people who have eaten A & Ms say that the meat looks dark to them and not white at all. I can't say for sure either way if theres a difference as any A & M i've culled my dog has eaten raw.

The are all the same species though. Japanese Coturnix. I think the meat is only "different" because its a white skinned bird. that's my oppinon because like I said from what others have said there does NOT seem to be a difference in the meat....but again I cannot attest to this. One breeder said that A & Ms taste no different from the other colors.

A tuxedo is not a brown crossed to an A & M. A tuxedo is a tibetan (color) crossed to an A & M or english white. An A & M crossed to a Brown almost always produces browns as brownis dominant over white. Also A & M is a masking gene.... the bird is not truely white, it is masking another color which sometimes shows up in spots on its back and head. ENglish whites however are true whites they are not masking a color.

to your last question...Coturnix colors are not a breed. they are a species. Like would you call a white silkie a breed of silkie, no you'd call it a color or a variety but deffinatly not a breed. Just like a white bobwhite is a color not a breed.
smile.png
Its species is bobwhite but it comes in many colors. Just like its species is Coturnix yet it comes in many colors. You can breed ANY color of coturnix together because they are all teh same species, and depending on their genes will determine what colors you get.

in general if you breed:
a brown to a golden you'll get goldens (as golden is dominant)
a tibetan to a golden you'll get tibetans
a brown to an A & M (brown carring the A & M gene)
a tibetan to an english white or A & M you'll get tuxedos and tibetans

Ofcourse if that first if the brown bred to an A & M carries the tibetan gene it can produce tuxedos from this crossing and so on and so forth. Dominance and recessives come into play with any color of coturnix (not breed)
smile.png

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Quote:
like this?

*warning may come with over-loaded information eyes may strain...*
lau.gif

THATS A GOOD START! LOL. I'M SORRY REMIND ME AGAIN WHICH GENE SPLICING COMPANY DO YOU WORK FOR! JUST KIDDING YOU ARE A WEALTH OF INFORMATION AND I FOR 1 AM GLAD TO BE ABLE TO TAP INTO IT WHEN NEEDED, THANK YOU!

Quote:
like this?

*warning may come with over-loaded information eyes may strain...*
lau.gif

THATS A GOOD START! LOL. I'M SORRY REMIND ME AGAIN WHICH GENE SPLICING COMPANY DO YOU WORK FOR! JUST KIDDING YOU ARE A WEALTH OF INFORMATION AND I FOR 1 AM GLAD TO BE ABLE TO TAP INTO IT WHEN NEEDED, THANK YOU!

*PUT IN CAPSLOCKS JUST FOR YOU
wink.png
* HA HA HA ABOUT THE GENE SLICING COMPANY! lol! I WISH THAT'D BE SO MUCH FUN! I DONT THINK IM SMART ENOUGH FOR THAT THOUGH *POUTS* LOL

Monarc - wouldn't you consider the different colors of the cotournix breeds? Think of it this way...in cattle - they can all breed and crossing them produces certain colors and such. You take Angus with hereford and get white faced blacks. Angus and herefords are both breeds. They have their uses and specific characterisitcs. Look at the quail...you have jumbos, A&M's, and such...each has their characteristics...much like a breed of cattle. You would look at OEGB, silikies, and such as breeds and then color variation in them.

I could make the argument for being a color also but wonder how that thought process would throw you?

Quote:
I look at the colors as colors in the same species. Many do. If im not mistaken Lophora (a smartie in the world of speices of birds) even said it's a species not a breed.

Look at it this way, like you said....Silkies.... they come in white blue black etc... all these colors are not considered breeds but varieties. Same thing with coturnix quail.

All varieties of coturnix are the same the only thing they show differently is feather color. A & Ms come in jumbo and normal size just as does the browns, as does any color in coturnix if consideration is taking when mating for bigger or smaller birds. In my oppinon for a coturnix colors to be a BREED and not a variety it would have to have a standard. They dont.
smile.png

ETA: you mention A & Ms btw..... you do know they aren't pure white birds correct? They mask whatever color, which can be golden, or brown in most cases. This is also why I'm leaning more towards the fact that maybe they really aren't "the only white meat coturnix". Only the english white is a pure white bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom