1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coturnix eating their eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sammit, Dec 25, 2013.

1. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    just wondering why my quails would be eating their own eggs? i have them on a 26% protein feed, fresh greens, millet seeds, garden weeds, fresh insects and i have a bowl for shell grit. they only eat the cracked eggs, they leave the whole ones alone.

im not worried about them doing it as i get enough eggs off them daily but are they lacking something in their diet? they all seem to LOVE the innards and then take off with the shell and eat that once its dried.

2. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm no expert by far, but sounds like a calcium problem... Unless thats the right kinda crushed shell for them.. or maybe the crushed shell you have is a tad too big still... I find with my quail that the bigger pieces they wont eat, but the more fine pieces disappear..

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you feeding them grit or oyster shell there is difference? grit helps digestion oyster shell provides calcium. Oyster shell is the more important of the two to feed. Most gamebird diets don't require grit to be given.

However most likely, someone pecked one one day and got a taste. Once they know there is food inside the eggs good luck getting any gamebirds or poultry to stop eating the eggs [​IMG]. Be happy they are eating the eggs, they are capable of eating each other [​IMG] Silliness aside you can build an egg roller if your cage supports it (and if you can get the silly quail to lay in it).
    Here is a link to an egg roller design.

4. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    yep good idea. just make the bottom of the cage tilted where the eggs roll out into a little catch and they wont have eggs to eat on..

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    And along with all that has been said here, sometimes it becomes a bad habit and is very hard to break them of this. Once they taste eggs, they can't get it out of their minds. The quicker you get a handle on it, the less likely it is to continue.

6. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    i feed them oyster shell. and a very small grain size, the largest size is maybe 2mm across. the rest are smaller.

they are in a chicken coop on deep litter so no chance of a set up like that, sorry!

i dont mind if they eat the broken ones because otherwise, they would be composted!

7. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    You should get crushed oyster shells for their calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by