Coturnix egg coloring and male to female hatching?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Angelight, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    With chickens, it is pretty easy to know what color eggs the hens will lay by breed. Is there any way with coturnix to know what colors the hens will lay? Also, do more males hatch than females? Thanks!

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I wish I could answer both of your questions... but basically, coturnix quail will lay a spectacularly colored egg with a variety of colors "splotched" onto it. I have 3 hens that have been laying for about 3 months, and not one egg has been the same.

Here is one link that is quite interesting. Weather it applies to Quail or not, maybe those of us who try this can report back their findings.

3. Angelight

Nov 4, 2012
    Interesting link! Thanks!

4. Nichrome

Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Interesting post I'd say!

In my case, I have had egg color and size change with age as I still have 2 year old quail laying! When the quail was young she used to lay the normal white spotted brown eggs whereas now she is laying brown eggs spotted darker brown!

Another thing about chick sex is that almost all the chicks I hatch are males...regularly! Why...I do not know :(

5. Angelight

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm scared that will be the case. The breeder will be the one hatching them (I'm not ready for incubating and such.). I'll be there to pick them up by day 3, I hope. I MAY keep A male but I won't be hatching and there's no way of knowing if these will be siblings (20ish different lines and pure coloring in a pen together. Purchase will be made knowing I won't get pure coloring but means that any of my quail could come from the same mating pair or a part of the pair so I don't plan to use the male to try to incubate the eggs.). The male call could be fun, though. Who knows. LOL

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Angelight, you do know that at day 3, the breeder can not really know the sex of the chick? It may be a good "guess", but not 100%.

7. farmboy539

farmboy539 New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I want 2 hatch some of my eggs would I see a ratio of 2/5 males to females of the quails cos I love 2 breed more since they are abit scarce here in lagos Nigeria

8. dynodon

dynodon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    I have handled thousands of Cortunix eggs ,and they are almost always splotchy brown and white .But occasionly you get a really weird one . Yesterday I got one that was bright olive green on top , and dark brown on the bottom. Like you had dipped a green egg half in brown dye . I also get a few super jumbo eggs , that are twice as big as normal . One of them had 3 yolks .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by