Coturnix eggs, day 22

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TerraLinda, Aug 9, 2014.

1. TerraLinda

TerraLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Two healthy, good looking chicks hatched on day 18. The rest of the eggs don't show any signs of life, but they float correctly. Should I toss them anyway, or give them another day?

Still air incubator, hand turning, 100F while turning, 99-99.5F after the lock-down. If this matters, they are large eggs, about 13 grams each.

2. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    You've floated them on day 22? Did they wiggle?

I'd expect them dead by now, tbh. If there's no pips or movement by now then they're probably gone. :(

3. TerraLinda

Jul 18, 2014
    To the compost they go; I'll try again.

4. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    I'd crack them open to find out what went wrong. You can see if they quit early, or were shrinkwrapped, or whatever. Best to find out now than inadvertently repeat the same mistake again, and again...

5. TerraLinda

Jul 18, 2014
    I actually took them from the compost pile and broke them open. They were all liquid, a couple foul-smelling. None of them ever started to develop. Why did they float low, like good eggs, both on day 14 and day 22?

6. royalron

royalron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    i dont belive that flot thing at all i think its bull

7. royalron

Jul 16, 2014
    tryed the flot thing one time none of them hatched and from what i heard thay should of. i dont even candel anymore .i put them in the incubator do what i should give it a date thay dont hatch by then trash thay go.my last batch i got a 75 %hatch so maybe the eggs you had were just not fertile or the shipping could of killed them .the truth if my quail dont lay them or i cant pick them up when i buy them i just know the chance of a good hatch is not on my side. the odds are not good with eggs though the mail sorry

8. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    The float thing should really only be used when eggs are past due date, and to see if they wiggle at all. How they float doesn't really matter to me, I just want to see if they wiggle. No wiggle means dud or dead egg.

9. TerraLinda

Jul 18, 2014
    I guess my roosters were too young, and not performing well. I'll give them another chance, and collect a few days worth of eggs for the incubator. Too bad,because I cannot wait to grill one of them: he is very good-looking, but has a terrible character, fights with almost anyone. I spent weeks trying to find acceptable company for him. I just want to hatch a few of his eggs, hoping the chicks inherit the rich color, but not the character, and send the parent to the grill, bathed in good olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.

10. royalron

Jul 16, 2014
    okay i got ya now i think i know what went wrong for you.were these eggs your girls first few that she laid if so most time the first few eggs a hen laid well not be fertile .i would try again you should have much better luck the first 12 eggs my hens laid i tryed hatching and nothing. after that i put a nother batch in and got a 75 % hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by