Coturnix Fertility

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I have been looking at old quail books, to see if there has been any old lost wisdom from our quail-forefathers. I was surprised to see that they gave natural fertility percentages, which said that while bobs had a higher fertility percentage, while coturnix only had 60% or less, saying that if you get a bad hatch with coturnix, blame the fertility. I haven't found that to be the case at all with mine, going well past the 60% egg hatch rate, which definitely means the fertility was higher than the 60% mark.

Have you found the same to be true? Or were our forefathers not incubating properly?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That or they were short on boys.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am suspecting lighting problems in the past and male fertility

4. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:Why's it got to be the mans fault? lol

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan

Amen! The only thing is, it wasn't just the one book... Old websites and many other books, at least the ones I have read, all talk about reduced coturnix fertility.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

I had a bob colored as a male all summer he could not get the eggs fertile after he molted he colored back in as a girl LOL I put another male in the same cage and both hens started laying fertile eggs . I have one bob that has runt syndrome he is not fertile either [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix As A Captive Speces Here In States Has Undergone A Severe Amount Of Changes Thru The Last 3 Decades Or So.... I Personally Would Stick With What I Know And Not What Some Decades Old Reference Material Stated. Trying To Second Guess Incorrect Or Severely Outdated Resource Material Is Harder Than Roping The Wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by