coturnix have stopped laying any advice?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MAYNARD1, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MAYNARD1

MAYNARD1 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    im getting about 20% of what i usually do. no change in feed or anything like that. only thing th has changed out of all of them is one hen went broody on about 12 eggs. but thats all thats changed. the weather has been nice 80/day 65/night. cant figure it out. i feed frm game breeder.

2. KFCGirla(TM)?

KFCGirla(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Tennessee
    how much lighting are they getting?

3. MAYNARD1

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    they get light all day. no artificial light though.

4. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Due to the fact they lay eggs at such a early age could also mean they dont last as long as one would expect. when I had mine I would replace mine after 6 months of laying. I would skin them out put the breast in with some wild rice and the other parts I would boil till the meat fell off the bone. Then would use the broth on the rice.

5. MAYNARD1

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    these are about 6 mo. old mybe thats it. i like mine grilled bacon wrapped.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THEY LAY FERTILE EGGS UNTIL DEATH WHICH MAY BE UPWARDS OF 6 TO 9 YRS... ALBEIT AT A SLOWER RATE

EGG TEST THEM, YOU'LL LIKELY FIND AN EATER IF THERE HAVE BEEN NO RECENT CHANGES IN ANYTHING IN THEIR "WORLD" THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO.. EITHER THAT OR THEY'RE GETTING READY TO MOLT

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. MAYNARD1

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    10 4 good to hear from ya, your eggs hatched great and are enjoying their new flight pen... i also found a good ringneck, melenistc, jumbo ringneck, and ringneck/melonistic cross in milton florida. not sure how far you live from here, but he only charges 7 per 12 eggs.

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:THEY LAY FERTILE EGGS UNTIL DEATH WHICH MAY BE UPWARDS OF 6 TO 9 YRS... ALBEIT AT A SLOWER RATE

EGG TEST THEM, YOU'LL LIKELY FIND AN EATER IF THERE HAVE BEEN NO RECENT CHANGES IN ANYTHING IN THEIR "WORLD" THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO.. EITHER THAT OR THEY'RE GETTING READY TO MOLT

I'm thinking they are in a molt, because egg eaters are few and far between with coturnix. If you did nothing to upset their love of perpetual sameness, then it is most likely weather conditions, or something you can't factor in.

They will make up the egg loss on the back side.

9. firefly7

firefly7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    South Central TN
    Did I read correctly that Coturnix will live and lay 6-9 YEARs? Just slower laying?

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YEP. DEPENDANT ON CARE AND CONDITIONS... OLDEST 1'S I HAVE HAD MADE IT PAST 9 YRS OLD... AND WERE STILL LAYING UNTIL DEATH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by