Coturnix havent laid in 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rellikmalinois, Aug 16, 2013.

1. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Hello everyone.
    I bought a breeders stock off her, 31 adult breeding coturnix, about 80 eggs and a few dozen chicks. The adults layed at my house for 2 days then we had a hawk rip into the pen and about 10 adults escaped/were grabbed. Since then I have not had a single egg layed and its been about 3 weeks now. Any idea when they should start up again? They are comfortable around me, will eat form the palm of my hand are are breeding daily.

2. rebeccastafford

rebeccastafford New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I don't have an answer, but have a similar question! I just got some quail a week ago (mine are about 7 weeks old). They laid eggs within the first 24 hours and nothing since. I know they must be nervous from the move and all, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make them feel comfortable and start laying again. Hopefully someone out there will have some advice for both of us!

3. jolleyfarm

jolleyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tupelo MS
    My quail stay in a hanging cage, so sometimes just to make them happy, I'll put a dust bath in there for them. They absolutely love it. Try that maybe? I know when I got new quail, it helped them. A happy quail is a laying quail!.. Plus, make sure the quail are getting enough daylight. Don't keep them directly in the sun, but where they get indirect sunlight. You might need a light on them a few hours after the sun goes down. I usually leave a light on mine until I go to bed myself.

4. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have a dust bath for mine, they love it to! I finally got some eggs! 1 Sunday and 2 yesterday. It's not a ton considering I have close to 30 adults right now but it seems we are heading on the right track! I'd wait it out and give them time to settle in.

5. rebeccastafford

rebeccastafford New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    thanks - they seem to be starting to settle in and we are now getting one or two eggs a day, hopefully to increase soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by