Coturnix hen stopped laying. Why?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rebelINny, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rebelINny

rebelINny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    eastern, Ny
    I have a three month old coturnix hen. She was laying everyother day and sometimes every day. My son accidentally let her loose and she was outside loose for a day and a half. Since then ( 2 weeks ago) she hasn't laid a single egg. Any advice. She is our first of three coturnix and we don't know a whole lot about them.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Change in diet and stress?

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Is she the only hen out of the three? She may have been stressed but then again she was in the cage 2 weeks after her adventure.. Is there lighting on the pen, what are you feeding the birds?

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    You violated what I have heard JJ and Joe both call the "sameness rule"... Any big change in a coturnix day will result in a halt in egg production. A move to a new pen, change in feed, more or less cage mates all can cause it. Every time I have moved cages around, mine quit for a few days to a few weeks. She will likely start laying again when shes darn good and ready, not a day before. Your at her mercy and I think they know it bothers us.... Bill

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    YES THAT IS A FELONY VIOLATION OF COTURNIX LAW.... YOU MUST BE PUNISHED [​IMG]

LOL DONT WORRY SHE'LL START UP AGAIN SOON ENOUGH (FORTUNATELY THE HAVE REALLY SHORT MEMORIES)

6. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    JJ....being one myself that has violated quail law , would you please tell me where to find these laws so as to not violate anymore [​IMG]..... I finally got my boy to girl ratio fixed and thought I was in the clear, now I see her violating, and I am a bit scared [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    COTURNIX ARE SIMPLE LIL CREATURES... SO ARE THEIR LAWS. THEY ARE THE LOVERS OF PERPETUAL SAMENESS--- DO ANYTHING TO UPSET THIS PERPETUAL SAMENESS AND YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW

THERE SEE? I TOLD THEY WERE SIMPLE [​IMG]

8. rebelINny

rebelINny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    eastern, Ny
    Thanks for that info. I will try to keep in mind that quail are traumatized by change [​IMG] she hasn't had a change in diet but before she got loose I had taken one of the Roos out and put him by himself in another cage. It'll be forever till I get eggs in light of the new info. I moved her cage today [​IMG]

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If there happy, their memory aint all that long... Good Luck. Bill

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:That can be an aggravated felony in some cases, but no worries rebelINny! [​IMG] Mandatory sentencing doesn't apply here.

Give her a few days to settle back in, don't change anything! I mean ANYTHING!

If that doesn't work then get yourself 100 hens and if 2 or 3 don't lay....at least you have 97-98 eggs popping out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by