Coturnix learning to crow?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JennysHens, Aug 21, 2016.

1. JennysHens

JennysHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Hey all! Fairly new to the quail game and I have some males, just turned 6 weeks, and I think they're learning to crow. My husband is convinced the gargled sound coming from them is coming from their hind ends but I think they're learning to crow! It's a very gargled almost wet sounding version of the videos I've seen with adults crowing. Does that seem about right? I know with roosters it takes a bit before they nail it down so I can only assume this off and on all day affair is them practicing and learning to be men!

1 person likes this.
  2. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I think your right and LOL your husband is wrong. Most of mine usually start around 5 or 6 weeks of age.

3. JennysHens

JennysHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015

Thanks haha it's a pretty alien sound, so I can see why my husband thinks it's awful but I really don't mind it now that I know what it is! We went away for a week's vacation and our first morning back they woke us at 5am making the noise so it was definitely strange. Bonus is now he's eagerly awaiting butchering them instead of dreading the added work! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by