Coturnix Losing Feathers

B. Kossum

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
I found some 6-8 week old coturnix for $1.50 a piece, but they are losing the feathers on their backs. The seller says it is because he doesn't have a light bulb out there for them. They are being kept fairly crowded in a wire cage out in a barn- no sunlight. Otherwise they look healthy besides their bare backs. I think I read on here that overcrowding can cause them to lose feathers. Is that the more likely reason for it? Would any of ya'll buy birds in that condition?

I would have to think about it, are they kept fairly good? It could just be too many roosters or too many roosters and a molt at the same time.

Yea, that's what I'm doing- thinking about it. They seem to be in good health. All of their noses, eyes, and butts are clean. They have good body weight, they're active, and so on. No poo built up on or under the cage. Everything looks good except their bare backs. I would say he keeps them too cramped- probably not even close to a square foot per bird. Maybe good enough for quail, but not good enough for around here. He meets my standards as far as cleanliness and protection from elements and predators, but they are just packed a little too tight. I really don't need the birds- I just liked the price he had on laying coturnix. He says there is nothing wrong with them, that he just dropped the price he's got too many and they don't look very good with no feathers on their backs.

Back
Top Bottom