1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix males in same enclosure

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailmom870, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Quailmom870

Quailmom870 New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    I bought coturnix quails thinking I was getting 1 male to 3 females...Well it turns out I've got 3 males to 1 female. What should I do? Originally I wanted to collect eggs for eating/selling...I don't necessarily want to hatch more females myself, and my birds are kept indoors, in a floor cage 6 sq ft total..but I don't think it will be easy to make sections within the enclosure.. So far no blood yet, and If anybody does want 2 male quail and you are in a relatively nearby area to western, ma. Please let me know, as this is a time sensitive issue!

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I would DEFINITELY get two of the males out of there, if you look on craigslist you might find someone locally wanting quail OR you could see if someone has a cheap cage and keep them for later use.

Personally I would do this,

Pick which male has the best traits you like, whether it be the biggest one, brightest colors, whatever you like, and keep him in with the female.

Get a small cage on craigslist for a few bucks ( or even free if you know where to look ) and keep the two males.

Get an incubator and save your eggs from your female for 7-10 days and hatch them and if you get more females integrate your males back into your program.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You could process the males and eat them [​IMG]

3. Quailmom870

Quailmom870 New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks for your help! I came home from work, and one of the males has lost his scalp I feel so horrible. I'm thinking about culling him I hope I didn't cause him to suffer [​IMG] Both are in separate enclosures now, but I really didn't want to keep them like this...I may end up eating them not sure if I should try to fatten up first, they only recently reached sexual maturity...

4. Quailmom870

Quailmom870 New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    And are quail embryo's sex determined at fertilization or by temperature like snakes...sorry new to the whole hatching birds thing!

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Not by temp, just luck [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Avian embryos sex is determined by the female half of the equation.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    AT LEAST YOU HAVE ENOUGH FOR A MEAL BEFORE YOU GO BACK TO THE QUAIL STORE FOR MORE HENS.... [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quail & most birds are mean to each other. I do have one happy flock but that could end tomorrow.

9. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quail seem to heal very well from scalping. I have a roo who's healing from being scalped(reason I got 4 more), he's basically healed but he's an outcast now. If you can seperate the roos you should be golden.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:X2 but go to a different quail store....at least one ready, willing and able to properly sex the birds they sell, or at least use the generic chicken term..."Straight run" so you know it's on you.

Throw up some pics of the birds breasts in question, and if they are color sex-able, you may be amazed. Other than that....you may have to redo from start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by