Coturnix not laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Smiles-N-Sunshine, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Howdy!

I have three Jumbo Brown Coturnix hens, raised together, about 4 months old. One has been laying like a champ, about 6 per week. The other two - nothing. [​IMG]

I wonder if it's the decreased day length that might be affecting them, as with my chickens? They're otherwise very healthy, and not molting. They're kept in GQF cage compartments, one by herself and one with two males (soon to change). I feed a game bird pellet with 25% protein, plus oyster shell grit.

So - are the two likely to start laying, or should I send them to freezer camp? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan

2. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I say it is probably a combination of those things.. They do need supplemental light during this time of the year, you can throw some christmas lights in to fix that problem. They do better in groups, but two males in a cage with one female is overkill. Her poor body is under a LOT of stress since she probably barely gets a break. This situation doesn't help her, stress could cause her not to lay.

I say put the 3 hens together, one male with them would be enough. Throw the lights in with them and see if your get any improvements.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    2 of mine aren't laying and one only lays sporadically. It's light levels most likely. I am giving mine the month off. Next month I may run a light out to the quail pen. I need the eggs for Christmas party food trays!

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Hey thanks y'all!

Hmmm . . . I probably should have mentioned the males don't seem to be maturing either. No foam balls or interest in the female. I had two of the females in one compartment while they matured, but one scalped the other, then started laying. I'm scared to put a male in with her, and until she healed, didn't want a male in with the injured gal.

Also, the compartments are only 10" x 22", and I think too small for a foursome in each. https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=22

Is
    the supplemental light you use different than with chickens? I have a night light in the chicken coop, just a 40 watt bulb turned off when I go to sleep around 10pm, so they have about 14-16 hours of light. Are your Christmas lights on 24/7?

Thanks again!

Bryan

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:That is only 1.5 square feet per compartment. That's only room for one adult bird. That might be part of your problem. The general guidelines that you'll see given are a minimum of one square foot per bird.

Frankly, those compartments are tiny. Putting four birds in would mean that each bird had only 3/8 of a square foot. That's approaching the kind of conditions that battery layer hens in egg factories (I refuse to call them farms) have. Might not be quite as severe but it's getting there.

Adding to my response: Their website shows those cages as 10x24. If that's the case then that's 240 square inches, or 1 2/3 square feet. Still too small for four birds. It's a good fit for one bird & a bit tight for two.

(And here I was today feeling bad for moving two roos into a pen that is 36" x 19" with the knowledge that I "could" end up needing to put 1 or 2 more in there down the road if some other hatchmates turn out to be boys...)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 5 quail in a 5'x6' pen. Overkill, I know, but I had them in cages and there was fighting among the girls and bald hens from overbreeding. Give them as much space as you can. Your birds will be much happier.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Buy A Timer For Your Xmas Lights... Comes On At Dusk And Runs How Ever Long You Set It For---4hrs, 6hrs, All Night, Etc...

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    What JJMR said.

Then, on those GQF cages, they are much to small for your quail.
    Send them to me so I can separate out my young layers to see who is laying and who isn't and when. That is what I am thinking about using them for. You really should just send them to me and get yourself some bigger ones. Really.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Someone after my own heart. I have 5 one year + quail in a sixteen square foot cage, 3 in another 16 square foot cage (they will be moving to make way for GIRLS eventually). I have 2 in a 6 square foot cage...

Need I continue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by