coturnix on strike?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jul 11, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    do coturnix not lay in very hot weather? its been rather steamy the last couple days, and prior to that i was getting eggs, now nothing... just want to make sure its weather related and not another problem (they have supplemental lighting, plenty of food and water)

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    might not be the heat, but stress due to the heat, it gets really hot where i live (about heat index of 100 easy, good thing backyard has shade), i only have 2/4 females laying right now, so i heard that pure vit-c in the water helps with dealing with the heat and egg production

might give that a try

3. Weather does play a role, especially when it comes to large swing in temps. I had 8 eggs from 8 hens yesterday with a high temp of 112 and 82 for a low and it was muggy from a storm that rolled over. But that is the norm here and very little fluctuation from day to day. Now if we get a cold snap (not going to happen) production is sure to be effected.

Do you need supplimental lighting right now in Michigan? These are the longest days of the year right now. Just curious.

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    How long is the light on? That could be the problem...

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    they are in a barn with no windows to let in light. lights are on from about 7 am till around 9 pm. its been a hot and muggy weekend. these quail are only 7 or 8 weeks old. I was getting 1 egg a day (from a pen of 3 females), then it stopped this weekend, hopefully it starts up again and that the others start soon too. i got 1 egg from my tiebetan last friday(10 days ago) then nothing since, that was the day i got them so i expected there would be interruptions, just figured with the one that was laying that it would continue.
    Thanks
    Sib

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by