1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Pics: Spangles, Spangle, Tuxedos & Golden Range Compairison

Discussion in 'Quail' started by monarc23, Jul 25, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Been moving around birds here, culling out most of my goldens and browns, keeping only a few for over-wintering them for breeding next year. Focusing the rest of my breedings for this season on Reds (cinnamons), Red Range (cinnamon range aka red golden), Tuxedo, and Spangle (brown with white flight feathers). [​IMG] Thought I'd take some pictures and show the progress [​IMG]

First the Spangles (what im calling the color since there isnt a name for it yet haha)....

Spangle (the very first one i hatched WHICH is a hen yay):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lollipop (second one i hatched, its down color is firey red almost like it's mamas was as a chick I didn't realize it was alsoa spangle until the other day)!:
    [​IMG]
    Its the one on the right I was showing the difference in down color compaired to a normal brown:
    [​IMG]

And this is Kamukazi hatched today..named so because I had no idea i had hatches due today only found out because while watching a movie heard peeping in the bator... it was no where to be found in the bator, here it climbed out of the tray and fell on the bottom of the incubator (whch is 3 ft tall):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Kamu with Lollipop:
    [​IMG]

All three spangles together:
    [​IMG]

And on to the tuxedos:
    Panda (she is scarred from a bad scalping):
    [​IMG]

One of Pandas many babies:
    [​IMG]

A not perfectly marked Rosetta tuxedo from my Red Range (red golden/cinnamon range too many darn names) over A & M:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking/hoping this is a hen, pure white, this bird is the result of Tux to tux:
    [​IMG]

A tux chick that ran away from me fell in the grass and walked around with one of my seramas lol:
    [​IMG]

The tux chicks in my brooder right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another Panda baby:
    [​IMG]

"Cutie" my tuxedo roo. Cutie links back to Big Bertha my 13 oz a & M hen he's a plump boy but no 13 oz:
    [​IMG]
    this one doenst have a name [​IMG] I even forget if it's aroo or a hen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my entire adult to subadult tuxedo pen:
    [​IMG]

This is my keeper grow out pen-- the two goldens are from my Cinnamon x golden breedings, the A & M looking chick is Tux to tux breeding so IMO it's actually a high white tuxedo, 2 rosetta tuxedos from my cinnamon range (red golden) over A & M birds, that brown is just a really dark chick that hatched that i decided to keep, and another nice tuxedo chick:
    [​IMG]

OH and here is a Golden Range (top chick) next to a Rosetta chick (bottom) they look very similar but the rosetta is brighter, and has more markings on the face:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    They are adorable! [​IMG]

3. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    Great photos [​IMG]

Maybe a silly question .................. but are there pied coturnix ?
    If yes, then what makes the 'spangle' different than a 'pied' ?

Just curious and intrested in learning [​IMG]

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Oh they are to sweet!

5. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    my "spangled" one is a male. maybe he can fly up to meet your lady [​IMG]

what should he be bred with BTW?

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:If I wasnt lucky enough ot get any more spangles i was going to breed it to brown [​IMG]

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:No question is silly [​IMG]

Yes theres pied coturnix but it looks nothing like my Spangles [​IMG] Pied in coturnix is A & M with spots of color (a white body with minimal spotching on the back) like this:
    [​IMG]

Its not the same genes [​IMG] That's what makes it different [​IMG]

8. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    Thanks .
    That's intresting [​IMG]
    Pied coturnix chicks are not what I'd imagined they'd look like.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your 'spangle' project develope.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah i was thinking about it last night you're probably thinking about button quails, as a button quail with white wing tips is considered a bird that's in the first generation of pied (as is a throat patch unless a DF). [​IMG]
    Buttons and coturnix even though they are closely related their colors are sooo different.... like the same pattern in coturnix and button quail in buttons is called Blue face, in coturnix it's called dark range and both male and females look the same, but in blue face buttons the male looks a dark blue almost black and the hen looks like the coturnix..... where as the A & Ms their white with sploches of color are considered splash in buttons. It's all backwards [​IMG]

10. QuailKeeper

QuailKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    can you make a pied cortunix like a pied pigeon? random black and grey spots scattered around the bird? that would be really cool looking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by