Coturnix Quail Advice?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailMum, Oct 3, 2016.

1. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi all!
    First of all, I wanted to say hello, as I'm a newbie to this site. I joined a while back but soon after, we had my quail euthanized due to a tumor. She lived a happy 2 and a half years which is quite a stretch for a little bird that was raised in school to be falcon food...
    Anyhow, I have just recently taken home 2 female coturnix quails, both only two weeks old. With my last quail, I had also brought home two females which I kept in a large rabbit cage in our crawl space which had a comfortable temperature and light always for them. Sadly and seemingly out of nowhere, I returned one day to find my smaller of the two quail with a bloodied left half of her head. I seperated them quickly and did what I could to prevent invention, but I think there was more internal damage than I could account for. She soon passed away, but in plenty of comfort.
    Now that I again have two females, I moved them out of the crawl space and into my room near a window, so they can hear and feel fresh air and daylight at all times, thinking that might prevent any anxiety or stress. I was wondering if any of you had advice on how to keep these two from getting into trouble? They currently seem to be getting along fine, but I want to be absolutely sure I do all I can to prevent any squabbles. I'm very appreciative of any advice you have, thank you!!

2. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    find something to entertain them, you didn't mention what type of bedding you use but something that allows them to peck and scratch around is always nice. If you place a small cardboard box, with one or two quail-sized holes in them the quail will enjoy hiding inside of it. Its always important to have something like the box which allows a quail to escape another if she is being picked on.

3. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    The best entertainment for them is a box with dirt to dust bathe in. They forget about everything else.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Quail are territorial so the first two might have fought because of that, even if they were previously housed together. Or the one had a little wound and the other just kept picking at it.

You can grow some seeds in a pot of dirt and let them have it. Put in branches, real or fake just not from toxic trees, for them to move under. Pine branches are a good choice. I agree a dust bath is a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by