Coturnix Quail Breeding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DavidKerk, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I am going to get Coturnix quail soon. When you breed them are the colors consistent or could you, for example, get the white type from two of the regular tan and brown ones?

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    The likely hood of getting an English white or a Texas A&M from the mating of two pharoah colored birds is not very good. My colony is as follows 4 roos. 2 Manchurian Golds, a jumbo brown , (large pharoah colored), and a Texas A&M. 12 hens. 1 Manchurian gold, a rosetta tux, a range tux, 4 pharoah and 5 golden Italians. I hatched 32 chicks recently. All but 4 were either Manchurian Gold Or Golden Italian. The 3 that were not were were rosetta and rosetta tux. Golden is dominant. I wished for more golden birds and I got them. The nicest surprise was the lovely chocolate coloring on the heads and backs instead of the black. You can see thes colors on my FB page Coturnix Corner.

3. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    if you plan on breeding them them you will really need an incubator as quails do not go broody in captivity, dissapionting :(

4. DavidKerk

Feb 9, 2013
    yeah it is dissapointing. I have and incubator i'm planning on using. Thanks for the responses!

5. DavidKerk

Feb 9, 2013
    Does anybody know what colors are likely to come from two pharoah colored Coturnix quail?

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    A little bit might depend on the adults parentage. BUT you are likely to get pharoah colored chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by